Experienced brewers....how am I doing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Outdoorsguy

Reaction score
OK...just thought I'd run this past you guys who would know better.

I've got a White House Honey Ale going for 4 days now. OG was 1.070 and I just checked it and I'm at 1.025.

I noticed that I never saw signs of fermentation bubbling from my blow off tube. This disturbed me a little because I was super careful about sanitation. There is a ring inside of my pail where krausen has risen and receeded and the beer itself looks really good. When I took my sample for the hydrometer, I tasted it and it's fizzy and has a good flavor.
I pitched dry yeast at exactly 72 degrees and it has been in a 64 degree room.

I have a feeling that it is going well, although, unlike my last (and first ever) batch of Holiday Ale, there was a steady stream of bubbling on day 2.

How common is this? How common is this considering the recipe has a pound of honey in it providing food for the yeast?

Its moving along fine. I would try to seal it better and leave it till you bottle it in a few weeks. It may not have been bubbleing because of the lid seal. No big deal,bottle it in a couple weeks. Its fizzy because of co2 being made.
Check your lid,seal it then press on the middle of it, it should bubble the blow off,if fermentation foaming has settled get an airlock on it and press the middle of the lid and it should bubble if you have a good seal.

If your gravity falls, fermentation is happening. However, if you don't notice bubbling, your fermentation vessel may not be sealed. Is it in a bucket? Check the top is on tight.

Four days is way too soon to start checking the gravity. It serves no purpose. Leave it be for at least two weeks before you open the fermenter.

I think he was checking because he was concened if it was even fermenting. Gravity check has proved that it is. Now he needs to just seal it and forget it basically till he bottles in a few+ weeks.

I think he was checking because he was concened if it was even fermenting. Gravity check has proved that it is. Now he needs to just seal it and forget it basically till he bottles in a few+ weeks.

This is pretty much what I'm doing. I'm not freaking out (yet....lol)....just maintaining my cool about this as I am new to home brewing. I'm confident that everything was done correctly. I guess I just needed that boost of confidence from more experienced brewers like yourself.

After my first brew, I went straight to a bigger blow off tube on it and have already switched to the smaller airlock before even coming back to this thread for advice and encouragement. So I feel I'm on the right path. I plan on keeping it in the primary for at least another 3-4 days before moving it to a secondary for two full weeks yet.

I had checked my lid and I am positive it was very secure. I had checked it by pushing down on it and getting some bubbles through the bigger tubing, so I knew something good was going on. It's just that my last (and first ever) brew bubbled so ferociously, I heard it before I even entered the room. Perhaps that was what I was expecting.

So....smaller airlock, lid sealed, krausen ring checked, beer looks good.......

I think I'll make it.:mug:

Back