Experience Using Chapman Fermenters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Haole can't blame the way you feel about the quality of that fourteen gallon UniVessel. I'm convinced Steve Chapman never even sees them before they're shipped. He probably has them dropped shipped direct from the manufacturer to the customer. After emailing him pictures of a ball valve I had an issue with he did reimburse me for my troubles. So much for a thorough quality control process though, unfortunately it seems to be hit or miss.

Guys, to be clear this is the standard 14G fermenter (non-ported). I’m sure it’s the same pot that goes on to be knocked out for the ball valve so buyer beware either way.

Yesterday the closed transfers from fermenter to keg went well. By adding a few large binder clips, to supplement the four hold downs on the fermenters, Co2 leaks during transfer were eliminated. About 2-3 psi of Co2 pressure is enough to purge the kegs of StarSan and to transfer the beer from the fermenters. Like working any new step into your brewing process this fourth batch was more intuitive than the previous batches.

cf-1.jpg

Purging StarSan From Kegs Before Transfer

cf-2.jpg

Using Co2 Pressure To Transfer Beer

The ball valve is located high enough above the bottom of the fermenter to keep trub and yeast from getting in the beer. Another benefit of using the Chapman fermenter, after dumping the first few ounces the remaining beer ran clear as the kegs were filled.

Back