Expensive Chicken Wings w/ Fast Food Pizza

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tonight is Pizza Night with the 'grands'. Firing up the Oonie, and everyone gets to build their own pie.

Despite what the naysayers deride, I'm building one with fresh pesto as the base sauce, topped with fresh mozz' from the Italian deli, copious amount of Canadian bacon and PINEAPPLE, under a dusting of the finest Parm I can find.
I never considered doing a pesto based Hawaiian but that sounds amazing! My typical gripe with Hawaiian pizza is the tomato sauce is way too sweet combined with the pineapple. I'm going to have to give that a try!

Whole wheat crust, super cracker extra crunchy thin, olive oil, salt, Parm Regg, basil, onion all over, pepperoni half, gruyere/jack/chedd/moz cheese mix, more parm regg.
Oh, yeah. Oil along with the pesto, fresh basil garnish, and only the best Parmigiano Regiano
I never considered doing a pesto based Hawaiian but that sounds amazing! My typical gripe with Hawaiian pizza is the tomato sauce is way too sweet combined with the pineapple. I'm going to have to give that a try!
I used to base it with a red sauce, but agree with you that it comes out too sweet. A thin coating of good oil and then some really good pesto (my daughter spent a year in Italy; she knows how to make it) is the key, plus fresh parm from the deli.

I sometimes make a BLT pizza that is surprisingly good. Give the dough a little olive oil, a light sprinkle of cheese, some garlic, and homemade bacon. Cook it nice in the oven, then take it out and spread some mayo over it and cover with diced tomato and a lot of chopped romaine. Slice and enjoy.

for some reason that pizza looks really good, and reminds me strangley of another thread?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/caption-this-image.700986/
1653794389441.png

for some reason that pizza looks really good, and reminds me strangley of another thread?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/caption-this-image.700986/
View attachment 770160
Last night's culinary delights:

20220528_182934.jpg

I'm reminded of another pizza that sounds bloody awful, but is actually quite good:

Cheeseburger Pizza!

Just like your favorite burger. Start with your basic crust, then use half sauce/half ketchup to coat the base. Trust me, it works. Then add crumbled hamburger (fried and drained). Top with American cheddar (yes, cheddar), garnish with yellow mustard, pickles, grilled onions, sliced tomatoes if you want, but hold the lettuce.

As awful as it may sound, if you like cheese burgers you'll really like this pie.

Last night's culinary delights:

View attachment 770182

I'm reminded of another pizza that sounds bloody awful, but is actually quite good:

Cheeseburger Pizza!

Just like your favorite burger. Start with your basic crust, then use half sauce/half ketchup to coat the base. Trust me, it works. Then add crumbled hamburger (fried and drained). Top with American cheddar (yes, cheddar), garnish with yellow mustard, pickles, grilled onions, sliced tomatoes if you want, but hold the lettuce.

As awful as it may sound, if you like cheese burgers you'll really like this pie.
Thats kinda scary you mentioned it, because we actually made cheeseburger pizza last night. I use mustard for the sauce, and top with pickles and onions. The ground beef I cook for a couple minutes before topping with it, but not very long because it will overcook in a 550F oven easily.

I sometimes make a BLT pizza that is surprisingly good. Give the dough a little olive oil, a light sprinkle of cheese, some garlic, and homemade bacon. Cook it nice in the oven, then take it out and spread some mayo over it and cover with diced tomato and a lot of chopped romaine. Slice and enjoy.

We do this too. The secret is the mayo, odd as it sounds.

So for what it's worth, Little Ceaser's has wings for 8 bucks. I didn't get them though. We did get 2 large pizzas for $13 though. I've made about a dozen homemade 16 inch pizzas in the past few weeks watching more Star Wars with my girls.

So trying to make this relevant to beer, I wonder why Pizza Hut quit serving beer. I've heard Chucky Cheese does but the ones I've been in did not serve it. Can you get a brew in Disney World? Where did the PIzza Inns go, they practically invented cheddar and Canadian bacon pizza.

All mindless drunken ramblings.

Couple of tips for you at-home guys for making wings. (We don't call them buffalo/hot/anything else you've heard wings here, just wings.. lol)

1) Read the bag. If you buy the frozen bags of wings, make sure you use wings that do not have any (saline) solution injected into them. I've seen bags as high as 18%. You' have very small wings after cooking.

2) Standard/typical buffalo hot sauce recipe.. Pour some Frank's Hot Sauce in a small saucepan. Add a dash of garlic powder, a dash of Lawry's Seasoned Salt and a sliver of butter. Don't add a lot of seasoned salt or you'll be very thirsty for the next few hours. If you do not like your wings hot, cut the sauce with water, not more butter. The added butter will make the wings taste greasy. Heat it on a low heat to melt the butter and stir in the seasonings. Don't forget about it while you're cutting up the carrots/celery. Don't ask me how I know this...

3) If you do not like the mess of deep frying, use an air fryer. I have a Ninja 5.8L (?) and I can almost do a double order (~18 wings, depending on size) in it at one time. It does take about 35 mins to do a batch, but they come out close to what you'd get deep frying. Make sure to shake em around every 5 mins or so. I cook mine at 360 degrees.

Cooking in oil is usually less time but more difficult to pull off. You need to figure out how many in a batch by a few different parameters: Make sure you keep the oil between 300 and 350 degrees. If you add too many you drop below that and have greasy tasting wings. Don't let your oil get hotter than 350-360 or you'll burn your wings and risk fire, depending on the type of oil you use. I use canola. Your taste may vary.

4) Find a local poultry farm with a retail shop. You'll get better wings, and the price will probably be better than a grocery store.

5) Serve with blue cheese, carrot slices and celery sticks. The best store brand of blue cheese is Rooties. You will probably have a tough time finding that outside of the Buffalo area. Next best choice is probably Ken's Blue cheese dressing. A lot of places in Buffalo serve that. I've never looked for it outside of Buffalo, but it looks to be a national brand..

6) when you think they look done...wait 2-3 mins more. The goal is a crispy skin and not rubbery inside.

7) Let them cool down before you add the sauce. If you add while hot, the sauce will kill the crispiness.

Hope that helps..

Rich

Couple of tips for you at-home guys for making wings. (We don't call them buffalo/hot/anything else you've heard wings here, just wings.. lol)

1) Read the bag. If you buy the frozen bags of wings, make sure you use wings that do not have any (saline) solution injected into them. I've seen bags as high as 18%. You' have very small wings after cooking.

2) Standard/typical buffalo hot sauce recipe.. Pour some Frank's Hot Sauce in a small saucepan. Add a dash of garlic powder, a dash of Lawry's Seasoned Salt and a sliver of butter. Don't add a lot of seasoned salt or you'll be very thirsty for the next few hours. If you do not like your wings hot, cut the sauce with water, not more butter. The added butter will make the wings taste greasy. Heat it on a low heat to melt the butter and stir in the seasonings. Don't forget about it while you're cutting up the carrots/celery. Don't ask me how I know this...

3) If you do not like the mess of deep frying, use an air fryer. I have a Ninja 5.8L (?) and I can almost do a double order (~18 wings, depending on size) in it at one time. It does take about 35 mins to do a batch, but they come out close to what you'd get deep frying. Make sure to shake em around every 5 mins or so. I cook mine at 360 degrees.

Cooking in oil is usually less time but more difficult to pull off. You need to figure out how many in a batch by a few different parameters: Make sure you keep the oil between 300 and 350 degrees. If you add too many you drop below that and have greasy tasting wings. Don't let your oil get hotter than 350-360 or you'll burn your wings and risk fire, depending on the type of oil you use. I use canola. Your taste may vary.

4) Find a local poultry farm with a retail shop. You'll get better wings, and the price will probably be better than a grocery store.

5) Serve with blue cheese, carrot slices and celery sticks. The best store brand of blue cheese is Rooties. You will probably have a tough time finding that outside of the Buffalo area. Next best choice is probably Ken's Blue cheese dressing. A lot of places in Buffalo serve that. I've never looked for it outside of Buffalo, but it looks to be a national brand..

6) when you think they look done...wait 2-3 mins more. The goal is a crispy skin and not rubbery inside.

7) Let them cool down before you add the sauce. If you add while hot, the sauce will kill the crispiness.

Hope that helps..

Rich
and how do they compare to Duff's?

and how do they compare to Duff's?
Duff's are good wings. One thing I'm not a fan of is that they dump a lot of sauce on their wings and the lowest ones sit in it. As they're the last ones eaten, they tend to sog up a bit IMO. I usually put just enough sauce on to coat them nicely and that's it. That's my personal preference. Some people love the extra sauce.
Duff's and Anchor Bar are the two that get all the press, but there's literally dozens of pizza places that make as good or better, IMO. Mine are right there or better because of the quality of wing I use. There's a local chicken farm I get them from and the difference is noticeable.

Back