exhaust fan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arbe0

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Planning a electric brewery, (2) 5500 watt elements (not on at the same time) (2) pots. I do 5 gallons brews with 10 gallon pots.
My question is about fans. I can get a 250 cfm 6 inch in line fan or a 500 cfm 8 inch inline fan pretty cheap at home depot for about $50. Or I can get a VTX600 Vortex 497 CFM Powerfan, 6 Inch for about $165. I figure I only need about 300 cfm so would the 250 cfm be too cheap and not enough power or would I be happier paying more money for the vortex?

Can you get one with a controller that allows you to adjust the speed? I don't know these fans, but it seems to me that's the best solution. And if you can, then you get the fan with the higher throughput and throttle it down if necessary.

If you haven't already, look into the brew kettle condenser thread here an HBT. You may decide to go with fan ventilation after all, but at least you will know that there is an alternative.

Or I can get a VTX600 Vortex 497 CFM Powerfan, 6 Inch for about $165.

I don't regret going this way, all though your home depot alternative at 500 CFM might be decent. 8 inch versus 6 inch for the same power, but if that's a variable that doesn't matter, almost worth trying the cheaper alternative. Are there any reviews on that fan?

I use the below $22 controller. It works fine. That coupled with the VTX600 moves some serious air and I don't need to turn it all the way up.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007TFTITS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
but would a 250 cfm work with a 5500 watt brewery?
For reference, I use a dual 11-12" window fan with a homemade hood over the window made of foamboard... 5 years with this and it does keep up with removing the steam from my 5500w BK. I doubt the cfm is very high.
this is in an old spare bedroom of a very old house with painted wallpaper on the walls and ceiling.. Honestly, no issues.

I se a VTX600 Vortex with an inline controller on my custom condensation hood vented outside exactly like they show on the electric brewing website and after a full 90 minute boil, my humidity does not change at all and I monitor it digitally.

Anyone have pics of their setup? I just switched to induction and indoor brewing and need to build an exhaust setup, but I rent so I'd like to do it as cheap and portable as possible. The controller looks perfect but I'd love to see how folks are building their vent hoods

but would a 250 cfm work with a 5500 watt brewery?

I use the s-600 from vortex. It’s enough if your hood is designed right and you have a way to get some make up air in the room.

An 8’ duct moves 2x the volume of a 6’ duct. So if you can go 8’ I highly suggest you do.

The last thing to consider is your exhaust run. Length of the run and 90 degree bends will impact your actual cfm readings. So will flex line.

So a short 5-10’ run of hard galvanized with 1 90 bend and make up air in the room is a candidate for a small 6” cfm unit.

If your using flex duct ( which I highly suggest you don’t) and it’s a long run without make up air you’ll be bummed out on your test run.

I brew in my basement (2-5500w - not both on full at once) and use two box fans (or one box and one oscillating) in the small window beside my brewery. I don't have a hood, but wish I did. The foamboard sounds like an inexpensive method of hood channeling. I usually open an egress window on the opposite side of the basement to let in fresh air. It works pretty well in all weather conditions. The house still smells like a brewery, but the moisture is kept down.

Anyone have pics of their setup? I just switched to induction and indoor brewing and need to build an exhaust setup, but I rent so I'd like to do it as cheap and portable as possible. The controller looks perfect but I'd love to see how folks are building their vent hoods

I, after endless research and flip flopping, went with the S600 Vortex and the biggest storage container i could find as the hood.

Works great albeit with a very short ducting run, though I do get a slight drip from the fan (luckily above the sink) but isnt enough to bother me.

20180118_220707.jpg

Been brewing on mine for about 5 months now on my electric brewery. My blower is a 6 inch 410 CFM on a regular kitchen type hood. Wish I had gotten a bigger fan and the hood drips. It works pretty good other wise. I just keep wiping up the drips, but at some point I think I will get a bigger fan and a larger hood that would fix the drip problem. Other than that I love brewing on my electric system in the basement, I can brew anytime and any weather without taking all my equipment from the basement to the patio and setting up with gas, then getting it all back down stairs again.

Back