exhaust fan for desk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kewlio250

Reaction score
i have been stashing some fermenting gallon size batches in the cupboard in my desk, but the smell is starting to become an issue.

there is a ~95mm hole in the side for putting wires through that i have never used, i was wondering if anyone has used computer case fans for anything like this, i have done some research on it, and decided to power a 100mm case fan by splicing it to a usb male plug, and running it to the wall socket with a DC adapter. i would have it set to pull air out of the cupboard, but im concerned about the smell again.
does anyone know what i can use to filter the air coming out, i havent been able to find any air filters that would work for this kind of use.

thanks to anyone that can help!

Alternatively, instead of an airlock use a balloon and when it fills up find someone you don't like and let it rip in their face? I would totally do that to someone.

You can make a charcoal filter from a toilet paper cardboard tube. Google DIY solutions. Instructables should have something.

You can make a charcoal filter from a toilet paper cardboard tube. Google DIY solutions. Instructables should have something.

all im finding are weed growing sites, with DIY solutions, but way too big for what i need

kewlio250 said:
im having trouble finding these small enough for my purpose

EDIT: what about a neutral air freshener?

Even neutral air fresheners are fragrant, which just mixes the crappy smelling air with better air in hopes the crappy air will be over powered.

lol went to home depot, 10 bucks later i have a functioning small scale DIY carbon filter, now i just need to hook a few case fans up to a dc wall converter through a switch and ive got a ventilated desk!

hooked up a few 120mm fans through a push-on-off switch with a spliced 12v 1.5a ac power converter, and it all works, but the fans are too large, so im ordering 2 80mm's to replace them, then i have to drill an 80mm hole in the other side of the desk and rig a fan in there to act as an inlet, with air going through the filter, being pulled out by the other fan.

Its comical how pot smokers think these tricks work.

Trust me, other people know.

I'm sorry. Why is the smell an issue? Are you underage and/or fermenting at work?

I'm sorry. Why is the smell an issue? Are you underage and/or fermenting at work?

in a roommate situation, so all i have is my room and a small part of the garage, so i have to make due by having some of it in my room, and the smell isnt what i would call enjoyable.

Its comical how pot smokers think these tricks work.

Trust me, other people know.

i know, right? if they are that serious about it, its already obvious

Back