Excuse me, a question about WC IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So you want a wc with the mouthfeel of a Hazy. Get some oats and wheat in there . Hop as you would a wc ipa . If you don't want oats or wheat , you may try adding some Maris otter to your wc grain bill .

Rye is fantastic for mouthfeel if it fits with the taste you're going for. Otherwise flaked barley works well. @Jag75's suggestion of Maris is good, too, or working along the same lines you could add a pound of Munich. Everything gets better with a pound of Munich.

Rye is fantastic for mouthfeel if it fits with the taste you're going for. Otherwise flaked barley works well. @Jag75's suggestion of Maris is good, too, or working along the same lines you could add a pound of Munich. Everything gets better with a pound of Munich.

Yup , I'm a fan of Munich

So you want a wc with the mouthfeel of a Hazy. Get some oats and wheat in there . Hop as you would a wc ipa . If you don't want oats or wheat , you may try adding some Maris otter to your wc grain bill .
Thank you.I may have misrepresented it. I was mainly referring to how the aroma has more impact and layers in the mouth.

Thank you for your answer.I may have misrepresented it. I was mainly referring to how the aroma has more impact and layers in the mouth.

Ok I get it now. But I'm not understanding what you are going for; you want more hop flavor, not aroma? The two are pretty much immovably bound. We taste with our noses just as much as our taste buds; if you plug your nose, you don't taste much.

If you're dry hopping for flavor/aroma, try waiting to dry hop until the krausen has dropped and primary is pretty much done. There are differing schools of thought on this; some like to drop the dry hop at high krausen, some wait. The theory behind waiting until primary is finished, is that less of the volatile hop oils will be blown off by co2. The flipside of this, is how long to dry hop before cold crashing or just packaging? In my experience, about 3-4 days is good. Any more than that, and the beer starts to get grassy flavors.

The flipside of this, is how long to dry hop before cold crashing or just packaging? In my experience, about 3-4 days is good. Any more than that, and the beer starts to get grassy flavors.
When I do a very hoppy beer I do a closed transfer into a purged keg with the dry hop charge already in it. I leave the beer on the hops, use a floating dip tube, and serve from the keg. I don't get grassy flavors even after a few weeks ... granted, the beer is stored cold the whole time.

Thank you for your answer.I may have misrepresented it. I was mainly referring to how the aroma has more impact and layers in the mouth.
What kind of hop schedule have you been doing? Also look at the amount of hops in each addition and total amount of hops for the batch. Are you using recipe software that predicts ibu?

The old chestnut goes that hops boiled for 60 min are for bitterness, hops boiled for 20-25 min are for flavor, and hops boiled the last few min or in a whirlpool addition post boil are for aroma. A generous 20 min addition should improve “flavor hops”. Not knowing your hop schedule or sdditons.

Back