Excited for winter pond hockey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DangerRoss

Reaction score
I know winter is not many peoples favorite time of year but I love it! I am really looking forward to this winter pond hockey season. Is anyone else excited for the lakes to freeze so they can get an outdoor rink made?

My outdoor rink from last season:
Outdoorrink-1.jpg

I really miss pond hockey. I played it all my life till I moved out here.

I tried last winter out here and almost got hit by a boat while setting up the nets :D

That's funny!

I wish had a rink of some sort to play on near my house. All of the lakes that would be safe to skate on are a ways away. I've talked with the city a few times a few years ago about pouring a sheet in town, but in order to do it right, you'd need a bunch of volunteers willing to spend quality time keeping it in shape. I guess we don't have enough of them.

I'd like two rinks. One for skating, the the other for drop in hockey.

Went ice fishing on a river overflow when I was young. Set up tip ups in the morning and drank hot chocolate and ate sandwiches on the other side.

Went to check the tipup and the ice has warmed enough to create a "wave" as I walked on it. Dad and grandpa decided we better pull in and call it a day at that point.

On an unrelated note, one time we went ice fishing after a sudden and hard freeze. The ice was crystal clear, but the weather had turned warm again and not only created a thick, thick fog, but also about a 1/2 inch of water on top of the ice.

So there we were, feeling like we were walking on the water, with no shore visible. Creepy. It was neat to see the tire and the plastic worm dishes sitting on the bottom of the lake as we walked out.

If we get to have a skating rink this winter, I can look forward to sore feet and ankles. Every time I go my feet hurt bad for the first time or two until they get strong again. Until then, it's like I'm walking around on my ankles! Still tons of fun.

Local weather forecast says 40-50s for the next 7 days. Can't make ice or freeze lakes with those temps. :(

On an unrelated note, one time we went ice fishing after a sudden and hard freeze. The ice was crystal clear, but the weather had turned warm again and not only created a thick, thick fog, but also about a 1/2 inch of water on top of the ice.

So there we were, feeling like we were walking on the water, with no shore visible. Creepy. It was neat to see the tire and the plastic worm dishes sitting on the bottom of the lake as we walked out.

Yeah I have been out ice fishing and there is water on top of the ice. There was still 2.5ft of ice but it was an eerie feeling nonetheless.

DangerRoss said:
My outdoor rink from last season:

Thats a sweet rink man.

Out here in Halifax there isn't much by way of outdoor rinks, but my house in Toronto is a few blocks away from tennis courts that get flooded in the winter. 2 pads as well, one just for skating and one for shinny.

If only my old landlord hadn't thrown out all my hockey gear when we moved...

:off: I wish that the NHL would play more outdoor games, I love watching the winter classic! got to go see the Hawks-Wings game in '09. There is just something special about being out in the weather watching hockey.

:off: I wish that the NHL would play more outdoor games, I love watching the winter classic! got to go see the Hawks-Wings game in '09. There is just something special about being out in the weather watching hockey.

I have yet to see one of those. Something always comes up, but I really would like to.

Maybe it's time to rent Mystery, Alaska again.

I am not going to play outside this year. The big National Pond Hockey tournament is always President's Day weekend, when we are already gone to Texas. I have to settle for indoors until I leave for Texas in January.

We have ice now, though! :rockin:

I am not going to play outside this year. The big National Pond Hockey tournament is always President's Day weekend, when we are already gone to Texas.:rockin:

Bummer Yoop!

We have ice now, though! :rockin:

Here is Minnesota most indoor rinks keep ice all year! You just have pay to $125-$200 an hour! That's money I could save for a conical or Top tier.

I like playing pond hockey where you can be out there for hours either messing around by yourself or playing a pickup game with friends.

Took 2 steps onto the ice this morning before it started cracking. Almost fell through but I didn't want to go swimming so i jump back onto shore. I would say there is still another 2 or 3 weeks left before I can get my rink in condition for the winter classic!
I just hope the ice is thick enough for a couple games over the holidays.

Winter was always my fave season when I was a kid growing up in Michigan in the 70s. Playing hockey on some random pond was always a big part of it. Miss it big time :(

We were almost ready... it had been icy cold for weeks, and the snow was easing up. Then today it warmed up into the high 30s and rained. By the new year we should be able to play though.

Back