Excited about a kettle? Really???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarPaul

Reaction score
So I just pulled the trigger and ordered a 20 gallon kettle from Spike. Never in my 48 years on this Earth would I have thought I'd be excited about purchasing a big metal pot...but I am!!! :rolleyes:

After a fair amount of research and watching a friends in action this seems like the best option for a 10 gallon BIAB.

Excited to order something that you once thought was mundane? Hell yeah.... Wait til you pull into the driveway and see the big box sitting on your front step. Feels like a kid again. :ban:

I was like a kid at Christmas when my Stout kettles showed up. I even blocked off time on my work calendar so I could unpack them right when they arrived. :mug:

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have a mash paddle, refractometer, and oxygen wand coming friday and I can't wait! I'de probably blow a gasket waiting for a new kettle!

Pretty sure spike kettles are 19 gauge steel, much better than other "cheaper" kettles.

I just ordered a new 15 gallon kettle with a welded whirlpool port, I am also excited over a piece of metal.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

why did you order cheaply made kettle? Their kettles are thin walled. Midwest has bottoms at 5 mil for less money

Ouch! Hurts coming from a fellow Packer fan too. Our kettles have pretty much the same wall thickness as anything else on the market. Our welds are far and away the best on the market. Enjoy your repurposed stew pot ;)

Ha ha cheers!

––––––––––––––––––––––
TIG Welded Brewing Eq
www.spikebrewing.com

correct me if I am wrong. But 1mm bottoms? Don't they dent a lot easier then the 5 mm bottoms??

I was able to see/use my friends 20 gallon kettle and was very impressed, it seemed solid and well made. What really sold me on these was the welded fittings, no need for gaskets etc. I realize this borders on a religious discussion here so don't want to get too into it, but it just worked for me.

correct me if I am wrong. But 1mm bottoms? Don't they dent a lot easier then the 5 mm bottoms??

Hammer to bottom of Spike kettle....

If you need a kettle that will withstand multiple hammer blows often then maybe that's a selling point :p

Seriously though the only real advantage for the tri-bottom is if you want to go induction. Other than that it's more weight and more $$$.

if you're doing stuff to the pot to warranty dent making... i'd rethink your hulk like abilities :) i have a concord pot which makes the spike kettles (spike does get them ordered differently to make sure the sizes are correct though) but in actuality, it's the same pot, and i have NO complaints... well, welded fittings would be nice! :)

I don't know whether Spike's kettle bottoms are 5 mm or 1 mm.

But when a modern SS kettle's bottom is advertized as 5 mm, that 5 mm isn't all SS. Instead, it's largely encapsulated aluminum (or possibly copper, in higher-end cookware). I don't think aluminum is all that much protection against denting...

And what the heck are you doing to your kettles anyway, that you worry so much about dents? I'm 65 years old, I've been cooking indoors and out for most of my life, and I've never dented a kettle bottom.

Yes, encapsulated bottoms supposedly spread heat more evenly, thereby reducing hot spots and burning. But are hot spots really a big issue in a brew kettle filled with swirling wort?

Of course, my original post had nothing to do with any of these technical points; I was simply dismayed by your bad manners. When a member spends serious change on something and is eagerly awaiting its arrival, it's bad form to tell him he bought a piece of junk. Even if happens to be true, which doesn't seem to be the case here....

Congrats on the kettle purchase. I'm confident that my kettle purchase is my best investment decision. Having all that extra room for vigorous boils, hops, and just sheer wort volume means a easier brew day than the days of lingering over the stove like a cat about to pounce on a boil-over. Be sure to include some pictures when it arrives. Stainless steel makes a great photo-op. :mug:

I don't know whether Spike's kettle bottoms are 5 mm or 1 mm.

Bu when a modern SS kettle's bottom is advertized as 5 mm, that 5 mm isn't all SS. Instead, it's largely encapsulated aluminum (or possibly copper, in higher-end cookware). I don't think aluminum is all that much protection against denting...

And what the heck are you doing to your kettles anyway, that you worry so much about dents? I'm 65 years old, I've been cooking indoors and out for most of my life, and I've never dented a kettle bottom.

Yes, encapsulated bottoms supposedly spread heat more evenly, thereby reducing hot spots and burning. But are hot spots really a big issue in a brew kettle filled with swirling wort?

Of course, my original post had nothing to do with any of these technical points; I was simply dismayed by your bad manners. When a member spends serious change on something and is eagerly awaiting its arrival, it's bad form to tell him he bought a piece of junk. Even if happens to be true, which doesn't seem to be the case here....

Well said. All of it.

fwiw, you'll never see a solid stainless kettle grow bubbles in the bottom like a triple-clad...

Cheers!

20 GALLONS!

i remember when i got my first 20g pot. have your wife take your picture when you open the box - the expression on your face will be pricelss

Congrats! I have a 20G Spike kettle too and it's awesome! Great price point too for welded SS fittings!

I have an 8 gal pot I drilled and fitted out myself, and I love it like one of my children. I'm not sure my heart could survive the excitement of unwrapping a welded 20 gal kettle....:p

My Spike kettle gets used for brewing, cooking, and crawfish boils. Never had a dent or a problem. Maybe if you are having issues denting kettles, you should be more careful, or switch hobbies.

It really is weird... When I was drving away from the concord warehouse with my 20 gallon pot that thing was in my passengers seat... looked hilarious. Non-brewers just dont understand the excitement. Nice choice of equipment!

Yes, kind of implied by the smiley face with the tongue sticking out...

Ramsay-Snow.gif

It's funny how easy some peoples jimmies get rustled.

brb, quitting the hobby - jims too rustled

Being a gadget guy, the equipment is one of the perks of the hobby. When I went to my LHBS to pick up my 20 gal Blichmann, someone said I skipped to the door. Congrats!

May the brew gods smile upon your kettle. (and your jimmies)

It arrived yesterday and I'm very impressed. The kettle and accessories were well packaged and it's very solid, clean welds and just looks very well put together. It will probably be a couple weeks before I have a chance to put it into action, but I will post some pics once I do. Me and my jimmies are very happy!!! :p

Back