Excessive foam / overcarbed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sboyajian

Reaction score
My stout wouldn't carb up and I noticed I ran out of co2. I switched out the tanks and got impatient and did the "quick carb roll method" .. I'm not an expert at it and I was afraid of overcarbing so I didn't do it for very long.

I let it settle out for a bit and poured a glass, I got about 1/2" of beer and a crap ton of head/foam.

I assumed it was over carbed, so I dropped the PSI to 1 and bled out the headspace about 5 times over the course of yesterday afternoon and evening. It did begin pouring better, I would get about half a glass of stout and half a glass of head.

Left it at 1 PSI over night, went down a bit ago, bled it out again and put it to a serving pressure of 7 PSI (Fridge is 40°F and stout has been in the fridge for 5 days. Beverage line is 10' of 3/16"). Poured it and back to almost a full glass of foam.

Is it possible it's still over carbed? Once it settles out to about half a glass of beer, it tastes perfect.

Right now I have the gas line turned off and I planned on just going down every 30-40 minutes and bleeding it off in hopes it will help remove some of the build up co2.

Am I right in thinking it's just overcarbed or is there something else I could be missing?

Disregard. Turning off pressure and bleeding it repeatedly fixed it. Was definitely overcarbed

Back