Exact diameter of pin lock kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkshooter

Reaction score
Sorry for asking a question that has been addressed in passing so often, but this is really important to my purchasing decision.

My keezer can easily fit 3 ball lock kegs that 8" or 8.5" in diameter. According t to a sketchup, fitting in 3 pin lock kegs at 9" diameter is theoretically possible, but the tolerance is so close that I'm not convinced it would be doable in real life.

Most places list pin lock kegs as 9" diameter, but more than a few list them as 8.75." From my purchasing decision, this is a huge difference - I'd prefer pin lock because as a new brewer, I think that's where the used market is headed and long term, I'd like all my kegs to be of the same type. Also, it's likely I'll change up my freezer situation in the next 5 years or so, and I want to hopefully not have to sell off too much gear just so that I can purchase what I should have gotten the first time.

So - what would you do? As pin locks ACTUALLY 9", or are they a bit under?

Good point re: 8-7/8". That would give me more than enough wiggle room. I'm just curious how well the 8-7/8" measurement holds up in real life. My freezer is an older Canadian-specific model that no one has posted about (unsurprising).

Just remember that most of theses Cornys are heavily used/refurbished and usually are not truly round anymore. I know that when one of mine does not fit in correct if I rotate it a little I can usually get it in place.

other problem as well.. i have all pin lock kegs. and they aren't all the same size...
some are a good 2-3" taller (not converted ball lock) and maybe .5" skinnier. just depends on what you get.

Latest posts

Back