Evolving a porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redlantern

Reaction score
Hi all - been working robust porters for a while now and am starting to ge the hang of it. The project started with a recipe from one of the forums here and evolving it.

This iteration involves the reduction of 2-row and substituting what was removed with munich and red wheat.

Flaked rye is there because - well - I have it in stock and ran out of flaked barley. I used the rye in the last batch and gave me about the same character, so no hurry replacing it.

If you see anything that you would change, let me know. Malt bill is far more complex than I am used to , but it is evolving quite nicely and I want to push this recipe to the next level. Any thoughts?

porter 5.GIF

Personally I love brown malt. My Porter uses 20% brown and 10% amber. Next time around I think 25% brown.

Anyways, I think just cutting back a pound or two of 2-row and replacing with amber will stand out more than the Munich against the brown. Unless you're married to the Munich then brew away looks yummy.

Looks so far like I need some amber and a bit more hop on the late boil.

Back