Ever just wanted to drink the wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Priemus

Reaction score
Just made myself an IPA frankenbeer type of thing brew this afternoon from some bits and bobs I had laying around.

22 leters of wort from a partial boil, 50% Light dme, 50% amber dme wort which had 100 grams of cascade to start it off, 25 grams of centennial at 30 and 25g of saazer at 15, and 25 more at 5 minutes.

took the gravity, was 1044 so willy nilly chucked in 250 grams or so of dme and 100grams or so of dex and gave it a stir.

Decided to drink the hydrometer wort....wow.

never tried an unfermented beer I was more tempted to just bottle it up without fermenting.

Just hope it doesnt ferment so dry that the super bitter, hoppy tasty aroma goodness doesnts become a little too much.

Edit:

got 50grams more of saaz that I was gonna dry hop with, maybe ill cut that back to 25 if that last 5 minute addition did a good job.

Made an oatmeal stout recently that tasted like sweet chocolate milk before fermentation. If I wasnt such a drunk on the weekend I might have thought of the same.

Just made myself an IPA frankenbeer type of thing brew this afternoon from some bits and bobs I had laying around.

22 leters of wort from a partial boil, 50% Light dme, 50% amber dme wort which had 100 grams of cascade to start it off, 25 grams of centennial at 30 and 25g of saazer at 15, and 25 more at 5 minutes.

took the gravity, was 1044 so willy nilly chucked in 250 grams or so of dme and 100grams or so of dex and gave it a stir.

Decided to drink the hydrometer wort....wow.

never tried an unfermented beer I was more tempted to just bottle it up without fermenting.

Just hope it doesnt ferment so dry that the super bitter, hoppy tasty aroma goodness doesnts become a little too much.

Edit:

got 50grams more of saaz that I was gonna dry hop with, maybe ill cut that back to 25 if that last 5 minute addition did a good job.

Your beer sounds wonderful!

To answer your question though, yes I have wanted to drink the wort before.

Until...

I drank the wort. After that, the urge went away. MmMmmmMmmMm sweet viscous liquid that cannot be purchased anywhere because nobody would buy it. LOL! :mug: your beer sounds like it would be great though!!

When working at a medium-scale brewery/brew-pub we were required to taste-test the beer at every stage: OG reading, end of fermentation, while in the bright tank (industry name for a cold secondary), and after carbonation.

So when I homebrew I always sample at OG reading and during any other gravity reading I take (usually) followed by racking. Nobody ever wants to try the pre-yeast wort with me; they try it once and shy away. Personally I enjoy it

I've always wanted to try LME on waffles! with butter and link sausage on the side. That would be one true redneck breakfast! :)

Just took the notes I had of what I threw into the pot and put them in a program to see what I should expect.

Original Gravity
1.051 (was actually 1.044 before I threw in an unmeasured amount of dextrose approx 6 oz, but them my hydrometer might have been out as well, was shooting blind for 1.050)

Final Gravity
(1.009 to 1.011)

Color
5° SRM / 10° EBC
(Yellow to Gold)

Bitterness
74.1 IBU / 16 HBU

throw in a wee dry hop and that should be a good un, as bitter as I suspected it might be, 74 is right in the ballpark.

Holy hops, Batman! That's going to be pretty dang bitter (albeit tasty!!!)

OG of 1.050 is good for a bitter and the 74 IBU is on the slightly-lower end of an Imperial IPA. Hot damn :D

Whoa, really? I'm assuming you let it cool down, allow the break material to settle and just drink the decantant? Bet it's excellent with an amber wort

i've had malta before and it was bearable but not somethign I'd drink a lot of.

I always try my wort, just b/c, but never more than a few sips as its just too sweet for me. I try to get the gf to taste it as well. she makes the best faces

Bottled yesterday btw, was really tasty, very bitter and hoppy, perhaps a little on the "thin" side mouthfeel wise, but overall very nice. I'dd judge it again in a couple of weeks, never know whats gonna happen with proper bottle condition

Isn't a Malted Milkshake essentially DME mixed with ice cream?

I try each running when batch sparging, and before I add the yeast, and a lot after it ferments.

I've drank uncarbonated American Wheat, before priming and bottling. Thats about as far its pretty awesome tasting. Usually always do with with the last cup or two I cannot get into a bottle. American Wheat uncarbed taste good

I enjoy the unfermented wort, don't drink more than the hydro sample however. The best ones are the Pliny clone or similar with tons of different hops.

DME is great mixed in with flour and spices as a dry coating for fried chicken, fish, etc. or as a shake n' bake.

Back