Even more fun from AG bewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imlvngded

Reaction score
After finishing my first AG brew and throwing 18 lbs of wonderful grain in the trash, I searched HBT to find what I could do with the spent grain. I deicided to try some soft pretzels to take with me to my brother's house for NFL Ticket Sundays. He supplies the 65" LED, 2 x21" HD monitors, 1 19" HD monitor just for RedZone (all controlled with a 4 channel mixing board at his chair, complete with cheesy sound eFfects for when his Broncos score!), I figure the least I could do is bring some fresh homebrew and what I call Munich Malt SSoft Pretzels. They're made from the spent grain bill of my Oktoberfest Ale. Here is the pairing of a Munich Malt SS Pretzel and a homebrew DFH 90 Min Clone. Delicious!
http://s849.photobucket.com/albums/...QgTXVuaWNoIE1hbHQgU1NvZnQgUHJldHplbC5qcGc.jpg

I have pics of my brother's set up if you wanna see his trekkie nerd/AV hero glory.

1 1/2 cups spent grain
5-6 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 pkg bakers yeast
Combine all, knead on floured surface. Roll into shape.
Boil in water with 5 tsp baking soda for 1 minute. Brush with egg white. Salt with kosher salt. Transfer to greased baking sheet at 425 for 10 - 14 min

Gotta be kosher or coarse pretzel salt. Makes all the difference.

Pretzels traditionally are treated with lye prior to baking. This is how you get the dark brown exterior. Without lye you basically have breadsticks shaped like pretzels (not that that is a bad thing). You can use hot baking soda solution but then you have a bagel shaped like a pretzel (not that that is a bad thing).

Here is some pretzel discussions from HBT's (former?) own Kai:

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php/Brezels_and_other_Laugengebäck

My wife is the pretzel maker in our household, I can get you her recipe if you want. She posts here as kcworthog or something like that.

Food grade lye is easy to get, I paid $8 or so for enough to make 50 batches or so of pretzels.

If you do either lye or baking soda treatment, even kosher salt crystals are too small and dissolve too much. You'll want to invest in pretzel salt (again, can get enough online for many batches inexpensively).

Pretzels traditionally are treated with lye prior to baking. This is how you get the dark brown exterior. Without lye you basically have breadsticks shaped like pretzels (not that that is a bad thing). You can use hot baking soda solution but then you have a bagel shaped like a pretzel (not that that is a bad thing).

My wife is the pretzel maker in our household, I can get you her recipe if you want. She posts here as kcworthog or something like that.

Food grade lye is easy to get, I paid $8 or so for enough to make 50 batches or so of pretzels.

If you do either lye or baking soda treatment, even kosher salt crystals are too small and dissolve too much. You'll want to invest in pretzel salt (again, can get enough online for many batches inexpensively).

Wow, you learn something new each day, I work for a chemical company and when I saw use some lye, my first reaction was WTF does caustic soda have to do with baking!:cross:

Very cool. Kai is really something. I'll be making pretzels as soon as I can find some lye.

Back