Evaporation rate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcoz

Reaction score
When trying to build in your evaporation rate to your recipes, would boiling water for 60 and 90 minutes and measuring evaporation rate be close to what your evaporation rate will be when you have wort boiling, or will it be appreciably different?

I'd think it'd be different because of the different density, but not sure if appreciably. That said, if you're gonna boil something for 60 and 90 minutes, why not throw in malt & hops and make beer? No need to waste a perfectly good 90 minute boil on water :)

Also, your rate should be fairly consistent, independent of boil volume. It should depend primarly on the surface area of of the liquid (i.e., pot size). Which is good, because it makes it easy to predict. For example, I lose 1qt every 20 mins.

I'd think it'd be different because of the different density, but not sure if appreciably. That said, if you're gonna boil something for 60 and 90 minutes, why not throw in malt & hops and make beer? No need to waste a perfectly good 90 minute boil on water :)

Also, your rate should be fairly consistent, independent of boil volume. It should depend primarly on the surface area of of the liquid (i.e., pot size). Which is good, because it makes it easy to predict. For example, I lose 1qt every 20 mins.

I have this extremely wide 15 gallon pot and I'm finding a pretty huge evaporation rate, but it also seems variable by volume of liquid besides surface area - does that make sense?

EDIT I see you mentioned that it should be independant - This could be a limitation of my burner.

Your pot size, and relative humidity will have the biggest impact. Those affects are additive as well. For example if you boil in say a keggle you might get something like 1gal/hour at 80% humidity. However if you boil at 20% humidity you might get something like 1.5gal/hr. Now if you use a wide open pot you'll probably get 1.5gal/hr boil off at 80% humidity, and probably close to 2gal/hr at 20%. Of course this is assuming you're boiling outside.

I have a 62Qt Bayou classic pot and depending on the time of year I range from 1gal/hr in the summer to 1.5 gal/hr in the winter. Best advice I could give is to use +0.75gal to whatever your batch size is and go from there. You can always add water back in before you pitch your yeast. Boiling longer is also an option but you risk messing up your hop profile.

Back