Evaporation rate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnakeAnthony6375

Reaction score
So, I've been brewing with a 15 gallon Mega Pot for the last couple years. The pot itself is great, but my evaporation rate has been huge...so I thought. It wouldn't be unheard of to boil off almost 2 gallons in a 60 minute boil. I have just made the switch to a keggle, thinking that I would lose considerably less liquid during my boil because of the tall/narrow shape as compared to the short/wide shape of the Mega Pot. I did a test run last night with 7 gallons of water for 60 minutes and lost 2.5 gallons. I understand that water and wort boil differently, but c'mon. 2.5 gallons?!

Does anyone else have this problem?

Same thing here. 2.25G per hour in my 10G pot. Don't really think it is a problem.....at least you know your boil-off rate.

Jason

With my keggle I regularly boil off about 2 gallons for 60 minutes (it changes every time though cause I boil outside). It's prob the only thing left that really annoys me about my brewing process). I just know I'm not going to boil off less than 1.5 gallons so I always aim for that and top off as needed.

1.75 to 2 G boil off is about normal for a 60 minute boil in my keegle. Maybe a little less, but as mentioned is varies slightly with the weather. I think consistancy is the key. Once you know the boil off it's a lot easier to hit your final volume.

Alan

Maybe I'm not looking at it in a very pragmatic way, but if I recall my thermodynamics of boiling liquids:

(Rate of heat absorbed from burner/coil) = (Rate of heat lost to ambient) + (Rate of heat used in vaporization of liquid)

The term on the left is a function of burner power (easy to tweak) and setup geometry.
The first term on the right is a function of pot geometry, ambient temperature, wind speed, etc., and is not-so-easy to tweak
The last term is directly proportional to the boil-off rate.

(Note that this equation only applies to the steady-state boil, and not the temperature rise of the liquid up to the boiling point.)

So if you want to reduce the absolute amount of boil-off, reduce the burner power until just barely at a boil?

However, I do agree with others who have posted that consistency is the key aspect to the process.

I think those numbers are reasonable. I don't know where you're located but relative humidity of the environment will play a role in your evaporation rate as well. I'm in southern AZ and I would expect to boil off 4-5 gallons for a 10 gal batch. I'd probably loose a gallon to evaporation if I just sat it there for awhile and didn't even boil it! :p

Put a lid on it to cover the BK but not completely. You can control your boil-off completely doing this but remember, never cover the boil completely.

Boil off is mainly dependent on two variables, the surface area of the liquid, and the vigor of the boil. Ambient conditions can also play a role, but have a much less significant impact. Batch size has no effect on boil-off amount. If you're boiling off more than 2 gal/hr your boil is probably more vigorous than it needs to be. I boil-off ~1.5 gal/hr in my keggle with a good rolling boil.

Latest posts

Back