EVABarrier Double Wall Tubing - Hose Clamps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwalsh27

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just wondering how stiff this tubing is? Can you use standard hose clamps on it? Wondering if I can use it with a standard manifold with hose barbs.

Thanks
in advance!

EVABarrier tubing - at least in the 8mm OD size (which includes both 4mm and 5mm ID lines) - is actually very flexible. I'd guess it easily bends to between a 1-1/2" and 2" radius. For example:

tower_mods_10.jpg

You can get the 4mm and 5mm ID lines over up to a 1/4" barb, it just takes some heat (hot water, for instance).

As for clamps, if so inclined you can use oettinger, stepless, or even worm clamps, though the worms will try to chew up the outside of the tubing a bit. I have a few regulators and one 6-way manifold with barbed outputs, and when I switched all of my beer and gas tubing to EVABarrier now 13 months ago I ran the tubing up on the barbs, shrank a short piece of heat shrink tubing over the union then applied a worm clamp over the heat shrink. That kept the worms from digging into the EVABarrier tubing.

An example of this technique:

gas_line_test.jpg

When this keezer died I replaced that manifold with a full 1/4" mfl version and switched to John Guest push-to-connect fittings. Love those :)

Cheers!

As for clamps, if so inclined you can use oettinger, stepless, or even worm clamps, though the worms will try to chew up the outside of the tubing a bit. I have a few regulators and one 6-way manifold with barbed outputs, and when I switched all of my beer and gas tubing to EVABarrier now 13 months ago I ran the tubing up on the barbs, shrank a short piece of heat shrink tubing over the union then applied a worm clamp over the heat shrink. That kept the worms from digging into the EVABarrier tubing.
Thanks. Exactly what I want to do! Don't wanna have to buy new valves and take out good ones already on the manifold. I was looking at the DuoTight fittings. They have a nice little inline secondary regulator that's a pretty good price. Just need a couple so I have run a keg or 2 at 9-10 PSI.

I am ready to switch from picnic taps to beer faucets. I am using a large side-by-side refrigerator and will serve from four 5 gallon corny kegs. The faucets will be mounted on the door. The CO2 cyclinder will be outside. My local homebrew store does not handle the EVA system so I need advice and recommendations. I would like to convert to push fittings throughout. Do I need to buy a specific beer faucet? Should I replace my gas manifold (barrbed)? Is specific EVA tubing for beer? Home Depot seems to stock a lot of these items. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks

fwiw, I have an extensive EVABarrier installation - gas and beer - converted from more conventional solid PVC lines, and I have never seen any part I used to build it in a hardware store. While Lowes and Home Depot do carry push-to-connect fittings you won't find the right tubing size needed (specifically, 8mm or 5/15") or the threads needed (mostly 1/4" FFL, but also 5/8" BSPP for standard beer shanks). And I believe the tubing manufacturer has a very narrow distribution scheme - you can't buy EVABarrier tubing just anywhere.

So the PTC fittings were sourced on-line as was all the tubing (4mm ID for beer and water, 5mm ID for gas). I replaced the one barbed manifold with a 1/4" flared one, use standard beer shanks with 5/8 bspp threads, and have in-line flow meters with 3/8 bspp threads. So the only barbs are on a couple of regulators, everything else gets a female thread to 8mm(5/16") OD tubing PTC fitting.

You don't need to replace barbed "things", some hot water and a bit of effort will get the tubing on them, and you really won't need a clamp. I originally changed to EVABarrier in 2019 and re-used my old 6-way barbed manifold with that tubing, but when that keezer died I splurged on a new 8-way manifold with mfl shutoffs as I had room for two more kegs :)

A tip for the "outside" gas cylinder: use a 1/4" MFL bulkhead through the fridge...
1619636508906.png

Cheers!

Back