Quantcast

Etiquette Question

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

CreamyGoodness

Reaction score
We all know I am nothing if not polite. Here's the question, do you think describing someone as having "salt and pepper" hair is appropriate? If you were described as having salt and pepper hair, would it hurt your feelings?

I ask because the gentleman who sold me a vacuum got my commission at the register... instead of remembering his name I was forced to describe him. It was effective, the cashier knew immediately who I meant, but I want to make sure it wasnt a d'bag thing to say.

When you are bald like me you stop thinking about hair after a while.

MrNatural

The Original, beware of imposters.
Reaction score
I'd love to have some more pepper in the little hair I still possess, and wouldn't mind anyone making note of it........

DirtyOldDuck

Reaction score
What is this "hair" of which you speak? (Salt and pepper is no different than saying blond, brunette, redhead, grey, bald, etc.)

KayaBrew

Reaction score
I think it's a classy way to describe someone. My hair is brown and grey. A lot of grey in my beard. How do you describe brown and grey? Sorta old and douchey-looking?

I don't care what color it is, as long as it's always there.
Sorry Creamy...;)

TNGabe

Reaction score
Creamy, you certainly do your best to reinforce the stereotype of the neurotic New Yorker. It's not like you described him as 'the guy too old to be selling vacuum cleaners'.

Beernik

Reaction score
I called my dad's salt & pepper until it went completely white.

Now it's me that's starting to salt, except my beard which looks like it dipped my chin in cake flour.

LBussy

A Cunning Linguist
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I used to call my dad's hair "Silver". His nickname was "Fox" so invariably it became "Silver Fox" - now the name of our small brewery. :)

I don't know of a guy in the world that is offended by people noticing gray. I mean if it was his first three hairs he might not like it but after that we're all just happy we have something to comb.

Funny true story:

My Former mother in law is German, like married an American who was stationed in Germany. Her grasp of the English language, while much more impressive than my own grasp of German, is nonetheless amusing at times. She makes small mistakes that are often very funny.

When my daughter was getting married Margaret was there. I walked in, not having seen her in years. She exclaimed "Lee! Oh my God your hair! You look so ... what do you say ... extinguished?!"

"Close enough Margaret."

argyle

Reaction score
Now it's me that's starting to salt, except my beard which looks like it dipped my chin in cake flour.

Yeah me too. "Dipped my chin in cake flour"- great way to describe my beard too. I'm going to remember that one.

Varmintman

Reaction score
I got LOTS of hair but sadly it pretty much is only growing in my ears and nose. Chicks dont dig that :mad:

cooldood

Reaction score
I don't understand how the hair thing works I have been bald since I was 25 ish

but I got enough hair on my but to reupholster a gorilla and now it is growing out of my ears.

I would pay good money to be a "salt and pepper"

gratus fermentatio

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the term "Salt & pepper." Now if you'd described him as "That guy with the baby$hit brown hair," it would've been a bit rude, but funny. :D
Regards, GF.

GrogNerd

mean old man
Reaction score
OK to use it to describe guys' hair, wouldn't do it to describe a woman's hair.

at least not within her earshot.

maltoftheearth

Reaction score
If you said he looked like the rappers Salt and Peppa then that might be insulting.

As someone who lived in Astoria I can confidently state that your description is one of the nicer things that salesman will hear. Must be something in the water b/c I used to care a lot more about thos things when I lived in NYC.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Push it! Push it real good!

Yeah, I started going grey pretty young, but my dad lost most of the hair on the top of his head in his twenties, so I feel fortunate. My wife says I look distinguished. That's great, but so far it hasn't led to any college aged girls propositioning me. :(

TNGabe

Reaction score
Too bad he didn't have hair like Salt-N-Peppa

fenderbass

Reaction score
My opinion, ya can't offend those with hair. It's better than "mostly gray, looks kinda old"