Ester experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtp137

Reaction score
First off I love my Belgians with plenty of esters. I have made some batches with loads of them and some with not that many. Anyway I keep reading the conflicting information on easter formation with pitch rates and want to do an experiment with T-58 and two separate two gallon batches

I want to pitch 2 times the required amount for ales in one and 1/2 the required amount in the other

I will reduce the oxygen level
In the over pitch and increase the oxygen level in the under pitch and compare the beers

Has anyone done this. And it seems my scale is not that precise. How many grams of dried yeast are in a 1/4 teaspoon. Does anyone know

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You're going to like the under-pitched better. I can almost guarantee it. Ester production is caused by stressed yeast. Under-pitching means they're working harder and fermenting hotter will help as well.

With my Belgians (which have taken ribbons) I always under-pitch and look for yeast that is almost out of code.

To clarify, I don't go crazy measuring the colony, but usually a single smack pack with no starter is an under-pitch to begin with.

You're going to like the under-pitched better. I can almost guarantee it. Ester production is caused by stressed yeast. Under-pitching means they're working harder and fermenting hotter will help as well.

With my Belgians (which have taken ribbons) I always under-pitch and look for yeast that is almost out of code.

Thats what I always thought as well but i read somewhere that less growth produces more esters, but wasn't sure about this statement. I think as the yeast grow they use up the acid necessary for ester development for the growth

I'm curious to hear your results. Please keep us posted.

If you are testing pitching rate's influence on ester production, I would oxygenate the beers equally - as it stands your experimental design includes two variables: pitching rate and oxygenation level. Both of these are going to have an impact on yeast health and flavor compound production, so you won't know whether it is oxygenation or pitching rate that is having an effect on ester levels.

If you are testing pitching rate's influence on ester production, I would oxygenate the beers equally - as it stands your experimental design includes two variables: pitching rate and oxygenation level. Both of these are going to have an impact on yeast health and flavor compound production, so you won't know whether it is oxygenation or pitching rate that is having an effect on ester levels.

Here is another thought I have a temp controlled cabinet that can heat or cool a carboy and only have one probe. I was thinking about placing the probe between the two one gallon samples to get an average temperature

If i under pitch one of them I should get more yeast growth and more heat generated from the over pitched sample. Should i do these tests separately?

Here is another thought I have a temp controlled cabinet that can heat or cool a carboy and only have one probe. I was thinking about placing the probe between the two one gallon samples to get an average temperature

If i under pitch one of them I should get more yeast growth and more heat generated from the over pitched sample. Should i do these tests separately?

I'm not sure how much of a temperature differential that will create - but if you have external temperature control you will be regulating the internal fermentation temperature fairly well, so placing the probe between the carboys seems reasonable to me.

Latest posts

Back