ESB with a lager yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

78kombi

Reaction score
its apparent i do thing unconventional.
i threw together a loose recipe that reflects at best an ESB,but instead of the english ale yeast i went with SafLager SL22 ( i think) the yellow one.
i was gonna try a steam beer, but now im thinking i can just lager it. i pitched lastnight so im 16hrs into it, im guessing i have about 8 more hrs to decide..so anyone?? steam it or lager it..Joe
5lb dme light
1lb biscuit
1lb caramunich steep grains 60 min @140
3/4 lb flaked barley
1/4 lb rye raw
2 oz tett 60 min
1 oz hallertau zero min
3.5 gallon boil og 1.080 addition of 2 gallons =og 1.052 shooting for fg 1.015

really? no takers, i figured there be alot of eager folks to point out why this is wrong..hmmm.
im gonna steam it..if i put it in the fridge i'll either need to warm it up, thus warming my keg also, or lager at 40 degrees, im not experienced enough to say if that would be too cold, but im guessing it would be.

You already have noble hops and German caramalt in there, why not just lager it properly and call it a Vienna?

i guess it really depends on the temps in the barn.on the cement floor its down to
(just checked) 64 Fahrenheit ..i think the yeast wants 54-59. So i may be able to lager it
in the barn on the cement, ill have to check again later tonite to see how low the temps get, if its low enough, ill blanket it in the morning to keep it down.
if it is possible..i will call it a Vienna.

ok checked it this morning and im at 54 degrees and its bubbling nicely..
thanks to the crazy wind and cool air that blew in from the east lastnight!

so now that its beyond any real vigorous fermentation,
can i move it to the fridge to lager ? (45 degrees).
did the primary at mostly low 50's...Joe

I did this before and the recipe was similar. Except that I used American hops (northern brewer i think). Can't remember what I finished with. Anyway, it wasn't very good.

well i went the lager route anyhow, i moved it to a keg and stuck it in the fridge, i was sure to get a good cup of yeast from the primary into the keg, then fridge it ( got the temps at 48 degrees)

Back