Equipment Check? What am I missing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megachimp

Reaction score
Hey all,

So I decided to jump feet first into the hobby. I'm a complete noob so I pretty much need(ed) to purchase everything I need to brew my first batch of beer.

Here's what I've got thus far

- Grainfather - I know feelings are mixed on this, but I've got space restrictions and I wanted to minimize the number of "things" I had to buy
- 30L Speidel Plastic Fermenters x2
- Refractometer
- Vinyl tubing
- Star San- 32 oz
- Stainless Steel Stir Paddle
- ingredients for first batch

So, other than bottling/kegging equipment, what am I missing? Any must have pieces of equipment I've overlooked? I just don't want to start my very first batch of beer only to have a "oh crap I don't have X" moment.

thanks in advance for the help!

Unless you get one with SG already on the scale. Easy peasy.

Nope still need to run calculations once alcohol is present.

Edit: @mongoose33 plenty of calculators on line and seems to be personal preference on how accurate you want to be.

A plan to control fermentation temperature mid to high 60's. Depending on your location a basement could be fine or a swamp cooler.

Nope still need to run calculations once alcohol is present.

Edit: @mongoose33 plenty of calculators on line and seems to be personal preference on how accurate you want to be.

A plan to control fermentation temperature mid to high 60's. Depending on your location a basement could be fine or a swamp cooler.

Yeah, I was speaking of pre-ferment.

Get yourself a nice notebook to take notes. Definitely helped me keep track of things and look back on my recipes.

Good feedback all.

RE: Fermenter. I was just planning on buying a small craigslist chest freezer and a external thermostat controller. Should that be all I need?

RE: App. Good call. I hadn't thought of that. I sBeerSmith the go-to app?

RE: Cleaning supplies. Hadn't looked into this yet. Oxy-Free sounds simple enough. Do I use that stuff on everything that needs cleaning then sterilized with Star San?

RE: Hydrometer. The one I got has SG on it. Sounds like I need to take the before an after SG readings and do a calculation to determine ABV. Sounds simple enough?

Anything else?

app: brewsmith is the most common and likely the best, personally i use brewersfriend.com they have a free windows app you can just download.(not sure if the database still has the mildly annoying bug where you have to edit it to add 1.0 in front of all the fermentables).

cleaning, oxyclean/free is used for cleaning everything, starsan then sterilizes anything that touches beer after it cools down.

x2 Brewsmith. Great tool. From my first time using it I was amazed at how accurate it was. That being said, its beer. Dont get too wrapped up in the numbers.

No need to fuss with a hydrometer. Refractometer+internet can do it all.

Dont get too wrapped up in the numbers.

+50!

Start with the free trail of all brewing software options and pick the one you like best after a few brews. I got Beer Smith too soon and hit information over load not knowing what item X and Y were for.

As you suggested, a cheap Craigs List chest freezer and external themorstatic controller will do fine for controlling your fermentation temps

-Auto-siphon
-5 Gallon paint strainer bag
-Hop sock
-Bottling wand + capper + Bottling bucket

Latest posts

Back