Equally Obnoxious Hockey Trash Talk Thread, eh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bolts were flat. You have to capitalize on a 4 minute power play, period. It's so hard to win 4 straight though in the play offs. I think we will see a different team on Wednesday. We also don't loose back to back games in the play offs so far, so I am hopeful.

John

Time for Price to channel his inner Halak, turn into an impenetrable fortress, and repeat the 2010 Habs/Caps series, this time with the complete reverse sweep.

I don't have a doggie in this fight aside from "Maximum Entertainment", so I'm just hoping for a Game Seven.
That would be cool :ban:

I should be at the game tomorrow, so I hope for the series to end in 5.

I thought the Lightning played well last night. They just didn't find the net enough, but otherwise mostly a good night for them. I'm pretty sure they will take care of business back at home.

Apparently the Leafs did it in '42. Only time it's happened. Can count the overall number of times on two hands though IIRC.

Edit: make that one hand lol

Last edited:
I don't have much of a dog in this fight, but I would like to see Montreal put on a better show. Canada just got their first sniff of a Cup in a long time, and It looked like it was going to be over so quickly. Now, with one win, it may relax them a bit. Probably not. TB is playing well. However, as previously stated, Starting OT with a double minor, and the Cup within your grasp, you need to win that one.

Go bolts. I’m in the house and it is LOUD!
1E77B665-B803-4C77-BBF5-2D205924A7D7.jpeg

Last edited:
Ahh. So the Manchester City of the NHL sneaking their way around FFP rules. Got it. Wasn't aware of that. Well f*** em. I rescind my congratulations.

Salary cap doesn't apply to playoffs. So, no cheating.

You might contend that Kuch intentionally got hurt and unnecessarily had hip surgery, or that he changed the date of his surgery to help unburden the Lightning payroll. I'm guessing a competitor like Kuch would not do that, but it's possible. The league did have a look at all of it and said no foul.

One interesting point. This little loophole with the salary cap has been around for a while. Blackhawks did almost the exact same thing with Patrick Kane in 2015. Kane was injured and unable to play most of the regular season, but entered the playoffs (and scored 8 goals). Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup that year, at home, against the Lightning. One of the NHL teams requested that the NHL change the rules regarding LTIR (long term injured reserve) guys. There was a vote, and the entire league except two teams decided not to change the rules - the voted to keep this loophole open.

The team that asked for the loophole to be closed? The Tampa Bay Lightning. So unless you're with one of the teams that voted to get rid of this loophole (Blues and Lightning), qft.

Great win by the bolts and great playoffs overall. For people hating on the bolts for the salary cap stuff....
1: forgive me I've been celebrating and am quite drunk but I belive most of the teams entering the playoffs were "over " the gap despite the cap not being a thing in the playoffs as players don't get paid for playoffs games.
2: if you don't like that blame the cba. The bolt lost to the hawks in 2015 who had Patrick kane (maybe best American player ever? ) on ltir and used that cash to bolster their roster. After that season the bolts requested a vote in the use on ltir and it failed. So reap what ya sow I guess.
3: 18m is a big number but when you dig into it you see that almost 10m is from players who will never play again and did not play this year.
4: on kucherov, he had major hip surgery and was not expected back until round 2, he did make it back earlier obviously. The NHL investigated and followed the surgery, recovery etc.
5: let's all celebrate an amazing during and post covid season and playoffs and I can't wait for this upcoming season. I feel line the kraken will get the vgk boost and steal tons of talent from around the league. Hope yall are drinking the good stuff!

Salary cap doesn't apply to playoffs. So, no cheating.

You might contend that Kuch intentionally got hurt and unnecessarily had hip surgery, or that he changed the date of his surgery to help unburden the Lightning payroll. I'm guessing a competitor like Kuch would not do that, but it's possible. The league did have a look at all of it and said no foul.

One interesting point. This little loophole with the salary cap has been around for a while. Blackhawks did almost the exact same thing with Patrick Kane in 2015. Kane was injured and unable to play most of the regular season, but entered the playoffs (and scored 8 goals). Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup that year, at home, against the Lightning. One of the NHL teams requested that the NHL change the rules regarding LTIR (long term injured reserve) guys. There was a vote, and the entire league except two teams decided not to change the rules - the voted to keep this loophole open.

The team that asked for the loophole to be closed? The Tampa Bay Lightning. So unless you're with one of the teams that voted to get rid of this loophole (Blues and Lightning), qft.
I never mentioned the word cheating. I just think it’s a stupid loophole in the rules, but as has been mentioned they had a chance to fix it and didn’t. C’est la vie.

FTR, I am a Blackhawks fan, and am fully aware that the Hawks beat the Bolts in 2015 while over the cap because of Kane’s LTIR money (which was btw nowhere near 18 million), and I still think it’s a stupid loophole.

Oh I was mostly taking the piss. Pro athletes and their teams will always do anything and everything the rules allow them to.

But it's definitely a stupid loophole. And no wonder teams want it left open lest they also need to exploit it.

Seattle will pick players with the identical rules that Vegas did except ...
instead of one player from every team, it's one player from every team except the previous expansion team ...
Vegas.

F#ck em all. I gave up when Ovechkin and Malkin and the weasel faced red bastards organized their Putin Team a couple of years ago. Let them all go play in Belarus.

iirc, during the entirety of the regular season, the Bruins scored all of two goals against the Hurricanes.
That didn't bode well for their chances, but here they are 2-2. Amazing.
Still, I dunno if they can get by the 'Canes this year. We'll see...

Cheers!

Back