Equally Obnoxious Hockey Trash Talk Thread, eh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations to @passedpawn and his Bolts on their Stanley Cup victory to end this disjointed season. 2020 has been a trying year for all. So, it only seems fitting that we will lose a man who I consider to be the voice of my generation, Doc Emrick, as he has announced his retirement yesterday afternoon.

I was listening to my Dad and Grandfather talking one day; reminiscing over the times they enjoyed listening to their favorite Football broadcaster after his passing. I remember thinking to myself how strange it was that they had never met this man, probably couldn't pick him out of a lineup and yet here are two grown men mourning the loss of a stranger. Little did I know that he wasn't a stranger to them.

Fortunately for all of the hockey community Doc Emrick is healthy and among us. But, I am deeply saddened to see him go; knowing I won't get to hear his cheerful voice, warm greetings and precise play-by-play calling any longer. His ability to reach into his bag of synonyms and adjectives, manipulate the English language and paint a picture so vividly you could nearly feel every hit while never skipping a beat can not be topped.

To me he was the voice of hockey and the game will not be the same without him. I want to wish him all the best in his new endeavors as well as a long, happy, healthy life for the rest of his time.

I'll be drinking a pint at 7:07pm tomorrow night in honor of Doc Emrick and all that he has done for the community. Cheers!

Sorry to see Doc Emrick step away. He was the best character since Howie Meeker. Howie was a color man and could never have kept up with the puck moving the way Doc did.

The Flyers haven't been interesting since they were the broad Street bullies.
The broad stfeet bullies were the worst thing to ever happen to hockey. Set the league back to the Stone Age. It’s a much better game now that they let players with actual skill play with less obstruction.

Last edited:
I wonder if rivalries won't get tired and boring. Too much of a good thing.

Either that or they'll get even more heated.

Either way yay hockey. Let's Go Caps!

I grew up during the heyday of what was called Professional Hockey in the USA, and saw a hella lot of fighting that left more blood on the ice than you'd ever see in an OR. I can remember many names of Boston players as well as - and particularly - Flyers - that had no "Off" switch when it came to carnage.

Now, contextually, one has to remember the early days of TV sports had a lot of stuff like "Pro Wrestling" and it seems there was a lot of bloody brutality to be seen (irony - one couldn't say any of the 7 words, but you could nearly decapitate someone on live tv). So there may have been some motivation for the "producers" to encourage stuff one would see in The Forum in Rome.

For one, I'm happier watching puck handling and skating skills than who can throw the most haymakers...

Cheers! (btw, can the Bruins play the Flyers every night? ;))

I dunno for sure what it is - probably the whole pandemic thing - but I haven't been truly engaged in pro sports for almost a year now.
That said, I did enjoy the Bruins beating the Pens - again - tonight. I saw the program schedule this afternoon and thought it was a replay of the last game, but no, it was a whole new win for the Bs. They should play both Penn teams as often as possible...

Cheers! :D

btw, Bruins honored a young local hockey player trying to shake off a serious head/neck injury tonight.
Hung his jersey and ran green/gold tape on their sticks...
https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/br...iously-injured-bishop-feehan-player-aj-quetta
938E2151-E251-4F75-9358-48CD6F73F917.jpeg

When the Sabres are doing poorly (like the past few decades), I cheer on the Bruins. Their owner went to my High School. Graduated (I think) the year I was born. So he's got 18 years on me. And a few million dollars.

Excellent come-back by the Bruins to tie in regulation - and win in OT! :rock: - with a little help from a stupid and blatant Flyer penalty in the last 7 seconds of regulation.

Pastrnak totally went off with a hat trick clinic. Loved the announcer comment "Just think how good he'll be when he gets his game legs back" :D

Go Bruins!
1612410487098.png

I'm enjoying watching the Scoosha division this year. I'm American, but it's always nice to see Canadian-on-Canadian action.

Not all that keen on relying on 3rd period come-backs for game wins, but tonight's win over Philly was the fourth come-back game in a row for the Bruins.
Eeep!
Maybe try building a lead and holding it? That'd be novel right now - and easier on the fan base!

Go Bruins! :rock:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Well if it’s physical you like check out the hit that sets up this series clinching goal...

When the Miracle movie came out I remember asking my father what he might remember from that game.

He said that he came in from milking cows and someone (probably mom) told him we beat the Soviets, and he was pleasantly surprised.

Back