Equally Obnoxious Hockey Trash Talk Thread, eh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I missed this in all the hub-bub, but was at first confused since Getzlaf didn't receive the same punishment as Andrew Shaw did last year. My confusion stemmed from news sites referring to the offending word as a "homophobic slur" in both cases, yet when I found out what Getzlaf actually said, I don't think it's a big deal.

Shaw used a word beginning with "f" that has a traditional meaning of a bundle of sticks used for kindling, a word that carries a emotional punch when directed at someone who is gay. The next day, Shaw tearfully apologized for using that word and apologized directly to the LGBT community. The league condemned his behavior in a strongly worded statement, as did the Hawks.

Contrast that with what happened with Getzlaf, who used a word beginning with "c" that is slang for a man or woman who performs oral sex on a man.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...etzlaf-gay-slur-spt-0523-20170522-column.html

2fac0b6bfc06ea1548ec380995943cd73054bf9767dc8d8f81133ffa61482c1d.jpg

I'm totally cereal...

Man, even though the Blackhawks were out in the first round I think this is one of the most interesting playoff seasons in recent memory. The only expected thing that happened was Washington getting bounced in the second round.

The only expected thing that happened was Washington getting bounced in the second round.[/QUOTE said:
and Kelly Sutherland's ability to miss calls, and control outcomes of the games he refs. he did it all playoffs long.;)

Any one here a Deadwood fan as well as a hockey fan?
Also (linked because of language)
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YdsUC6MtDU[/ame]

That's a little harsh :D

So, informal poll: was he offside? Sure didn't look like it to me...

Cheers!

[edit] You'd think a veteran team would know better than play to the scoreboard, but Pittsburg salvaged a win anyway...

Well, this would be interesting. They do mention it probably won't happen, but the fact that it's out there at all might spur a team to offer a viable trade.

Washington Capitals general manager Brian MacLellan revealed Tuesday that the Caps could trade superstar left winger Alexander Ovechkin if someone offered a "legitimate hockey deal," but for now, he expects the forward to remain a "big part" of the team moving forward.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-ovechkin-could-be-traded-for-legitimate-deal

He has a very good defense in front of him tho. Subban always played pens really tough. Rinne is like 0-7-2 vs. Pens tho.

Speaking of subban playing pens tough...he just got Malkin to fight and Malkin has been doing so much better with controlling that temper. Gooning it up can still work...especially in rhe playoffs.

the Caps could trade superstar left winger Alexander Ovechkin if someone offered a "legitimate hockey deal"
So trading for Bryce Harper is right out, then?

Given that Subban has resorted to gooning it up to "lead" his team and that he pronounced the next game will be a preds win...i hope these worst-division-in-the-league, barely-eeked-out-0.500-regular-season-record, cant't beat them-beat them, hacks lose in 4.

Preds came to play yesterday. Whatever one thinks they have an amazing crowd and fan base. I'm rooting for them.

That's not what I'm saying at all.

That *is* what you're saying. If the league hadn't stuck with the no-holds-barred playoff officiating style, that list would even be narrower. The regular season is just entertainment and trying​ to keep everyone healthy for the playoffs. Once in the playoffs, all teams know they can goon it up until the officials push back. And it takes a lot before they push back.

This series is a mess due to the lack of control by the officials. But it is good for the league since a lot of people are excited to see the country crowd getting into it. Carrie Underwood, Nicole Kidman getting lots of camera time and lots of white boys playing the sport. Nothing to do with hockey but it sells it to a much wider audience! The bad part about it is all these new fans can't see what's real hockey in between all the garbage.

That *is* what you're saying.

Nope, still not what I'm saying. I'm saying I like seeing different teams fluctuate in terms of effectiveness and team cohesion; I'm saying I like the fact that teams like Montreal can't keep all local talent to themselves anymore (Original Six, lol) and essentially ensure that other teams remain non-competitive; I'm saying that hockey players in general are more daring in terms of which team they set their sights on (*cough* Eric Lindros *cough*).

I'm not saying every team should get a turn and I'm not saying every team deserves a participation award.

That's just one part of the equation and not the biggest part imho. Some guys move for cash. Some guys will go to teams with real chances at the cup and take less cash. You can be the top guy in Phoenix making $6M, or you can be a second or third line center for the pens making $3.5M.

One example off the top of my head: Marian Hossa. Left the Thrashers to go to the Pens the year they lost to Detroit. He jumped to Detroit the next year thinking they were a better team (and they were with him).

There's more third-fourth line guys that have done it tho. Like Tyler Kennedy could have left for double the salary after his first contract was up but chose to stay in Pittsburgh.

That's just one part of the equation and not the biggest part imho. Some guys move for cash. Some guys will go to teams with real chances at the cup and take less cash. You can be the top guy in Phoenix making $6M, or you can be a second or third line center for the pens making $3.5M.

Oh, I don't disagree with that at all, just that in the past players weren't allowed to jump ship like that at all, and certain teams got first pick of draftees. Then there was the fact that the same guy owned the Blackhawks and Red Wings and would steer the best players to the latter, ensuring a beefed up team and one less competitor. Today's model isn't perfect but it's better than that.

I'm glad that the sideshow that Nashville turned this sport into is over. The Predators would have genuinely earned the cup if they'd won. The Nashville "fans" definitely would not have. I don't think a third of those in the arena and on Broadway know the rules half decent.

I'm glad that the sideshow that Nashville turned this sport into is over. The Predators would have genuinely earned the cup if they'd won. The Nashville "fans" definitely would not have. I don't think a third of those in the arena and on Broadway know the rules half decent.

Enh, I wasn't that bothered by it. Not like when Vancouver's fans rioted in 2011. After that, I have not since worn my Canucks jersey.

Well, my current least favorite team is having their parade.

Boooo....

;)

My friend who is a Penguins fan won our group bracket so now I have to deal with that for the second year in a row. Made a cardboard Stanley Cup with his name and the year 2017 on it, so he can put that in his office until next spring.

You sound like an old baseball guy complaining about someone not following the unwritten rules...That team is exactly what the sport needs; new eyes, new demographic...etc

Back