Equally Obnoxious Hockey Trash Talk Thread, eh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's pretty silly to end the game on a skills competition. Maybe they should mix it up and decide the game on who has the hardest shot or who can hit more clay pots? It is exciting though and tie games are even lamer. I think they should extent the OT period. Would make for less shoot outs.

It is exciting though and tie games are even lamer.

I completely disagree with both of these points.

It is not exciting. Would you watch a 2-3 hour shoot out? There is certainly tension due to the point at stake, but not excitement.

If you weren't a fan before the shootout started, you won't recall that a tie game earned each team one precious point in the standings.

What's lame is awarding an additional point for a individual one-dimensional skills competition. It is a perversion of the sport.

I was a fan before the rule and always hated the tie games. I'll take the current rules over the old ones. I still think they should extend the OT period so that there aren't so many shootouts. As it stands you have no choice but to except it.

But the worst point is 3pts game, losing should never allow you a point.

At least do as soccer, 3 pts win , 2 pts win in over, 1 point lost in overtime (at least we would see some action in third when it's tie, and every games would worth equally!

Said it before and I'll say it again...

The shootout is absolute bvllshvt.

Anyone who believes otherwise doesn't understand the game.

I prefer a winner/loser over a tie though...just undecided on how I feel about the way the points are awarded.

What, your team lose the shoot out? :D (just a joke)

Some advantages of the shoot out:
1) My 9 year old likes it, and makes it a bit easier to take him to a game in terms of getting home at a reasonable time.
2) Makes it easier to DVR the event with confidence that you won't miss the end of the game.
3) Last year, in the second half of the season when Pittsburgh averaged only one or two goals a game, they won a bunch of games via Shoot Out. :)

Other than that, I agree. I'd much rather see a longer OT.

And exactly for that reason the NHL has it right in that you get more "credit" for winning in regulation or OT when it comes to tie breakers in the standings. The number of shootout wins Pittsburgh gets helps and hurts them in they get the two points, but it hurts them when it comes to tie breakers because they seem to win more shootouts than anyone else in the league. NJ has 4 and Pittsburgh is tied with 3 other teams with 3 SO wins.

It's pretty silly to end the game on a skills competition. Maybe they should mix it up and decide the game on who has the hardest shot or who can hit more clay pots? It is exciting though and tie games are even lamer. I think they should extent the OT period. Would make for less shoot outs.

I prefer a 10 minute OT, or 5 minutes of 4-on-4 and then 5 minutes of 3-on-3. Something...there are only two teams in the league who haven't been to a shootout yet. 38 games have gone to a shootout so far. Over 11% of the games played so far have been shootouts. Pittsburgh and NJ are tied at 5 games going to a shootout for the league lead.

It is not exciting. Would you watch a 2-3 hour shoot out? There is certainly tension due to the point at stake, but not excitement.

If you weren't a fan before the shootout started, you won't recall that a tie game earned each team one precious point in the standings.

What's lame is awarding an additional point for a individual one-dimensional skills competition. It is a perversion of the sport.

Tension/excitement, either way, you're watching and on the edge of your seat.

I don't care for how the extra point is awarded and decides playoff spots, like the Flyers/Rangers home and home series to end the season the year the Flyers lost to the Hawks in the Finals.

A change in the point system to 3 points for a regulation win, 2 points for an OT win, 1 points for a SO win, and 0 for a loss would probably impact the way the games are played in an effort to get more points for winning earlier in the game.

I was a fan before the rule and always hated the tie games. I'll take the current rules over the old ones. I still think they should extend the OT period so that there aren't so many shootouts. As it stands you have no choice but to except it.

I absolutely hate ties, but I'm not sure if I prefer to leave it at one point for each team since neither was able to win or lose in the afforded amount of game time or if I prefer a definite winner/loser.

arturo7 said:

I agree 100% the shoot out is an absolute joke. Trying to get more fans to watch the sport, desperation.

arturo7 said:
It's point. How can that be bad? If teams came away from a tie game with nothing I could understand your disdain.

I just like there to be some type of conclusion.

Sid is playing tomorrow!!!

arturo7 said:
Earning a point is a conclusion.

It is A conclusion but not the one I am looking for. Listen if it was that way still I would accept it. It's not so I deal with the way it is now. Nothing I can do about it.

Looks like Patrick Marleau made fools of the entire Avalanche team in a pretty Sharks victory. Frankly I wasnt expecting much from the Aves but I sure as hell wasnt expecting Marleau to be the clutch player.

statseeker said:
Looks like Patrick Marleau made fools of the entire Avalanche team in a pretty Sharks victory. Frankly I wasnt expecting much from the Aves but I sure as hell wasnt expecting Marleau to be the clutch player.

Well how about Vlassic in the last few games, who was expecting that?

just like nobody cares about the leafs

I know, eh? Nobody! Except Leafs fans are everywhere...

10d8gfn.jpg

You cannot escape! MUHHAHAHAHAHAHA

Hey man, I'm all for the Nords to get back in the NHL - it would be awesome. Also it's nice to see someone filling the seats down in Jersey.

Crosby is doing his best Phil Kessel impression this evening.

Seriously - what a beast! Guy was supposed to play what - 12 minutes tonight? I think he's at that already.

...but this is the New York Islanders, so don't get too excited yet!

(hahah at all the media swarming crosby's stall)

No one is mistaking the Islanders for a quality opponent but you have to play the team on the schedule. It's fun. Personally I think there is big potential for him to do the same against whoever he plays as he has done in the past. Malkin, Staal, Neal, Kunitz, etc are also improved this year IMO.

Cindy will be crying again soon enough. One game in doesn't say much. Flyers looking discombobulated right now, but when this team gels mid season, the game will change.

Yes humiliating lost, no able to score a tiny little goal,

But awesome night the Kid! 2 goal, 4 points... I still think that if he does not get hurt back (which I dout) he might easily finish top 10 even top 5 for points!

Let's start a pool. When will Crosby's point total for this season surpass Phil Kessel? :)

I'm thinking by the end of the Pittsburgh/Toronto game on Feb 1.

Do you agree? Or do you think it will be sooner? :)

As an aside, I like Kessel and think he got a bad rap over the last couple of years. But, he is -17 overall in his career while Crosby is +68.

copyright1997 said:
Let's start a pool. When will Crosby's point total for this season surpass Phil Kessel? :)

As an aside, I like Kessel and think he got a bad rap over the last couple of years. But, he is -17 overall in his career while Crosby is +68.

He will catch ole Ovie by next week some time lol.

Bruins win 9 in a row..Beat the Habs tonight..

This is the worst. If I happen to chance upon my friend's dad this weekend, I KNOW he'll let me have it. He is from Bahston.

This spring he got all of his kids Bruins jerseys and very nearly drove them all over to my house to gloat. Thank God for his health issues!

After reading the Masshole thread a bit I think I understand him a bit better.

Are you suggesting that Sidney Crosby is a better hockey player than Phil Kessel? That's some groundbreaking stuff there.

Cindy will be crying again soon enough. One game in doesn't say much. Flyers looking discombobulated right now, but when this team gels mid season, the game will change.

Hhaha the butthurtness of Flyers fans is always amusing. "Cindy"... hahaha.

The guy was out for almost a year with a concussion. Everyone said stuff like "Oh he might as well retire, he's won everything", and "he'll never be the same player" - so what does he do? Waits until he's 100% healthy, comes back and puts up 4 points while only playing 16:00. The guy is amazing - if only Toronto could have won the lottery to draft him.

I don't care for Crosby but you have to respect him for putting up 4 pts (all on his backhand) in his comeback game.

Latest posts

Back