Equally Obnoxious Hockey Trash Talk Thread, eh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
copyright1997 said:
Stated on a Pittsburgh sports talk show tonight by Joe Starkey: "Not only is Dan Blyma's team getting humiliated by the Flyers, they are turning into the Flyers".

Wrong again. When the Flyers played like the Pens tried to, they won back to back Cups. They didn't get swept by the team all the experts called the underdog.

punkrockdave said:
Oh he!! no. Not L.A. , San Jose bud all the way.

Didn't say I was cheering for one or the other, but it would be nuts to see all those dudes, especially Richards and Carter back in Philly in a different uniform, in the Cup Finals.

Barnzy02 said:
Dean Lombardi, their GM, also used to work for the Flyers as a scout.

and John Stevens is still an asst there, i believe.

I think you're right, I was just going off the top of my head quickly and those two slipped my mind. I should have remembered Stevens though.

I love when the Flyers set records for the Penguins:

1. FLYERS SCORING IN BUNCHES: The Philadelphia Flyers continue to dominate the series against the Pittsburgh Penguins, winning Game 3 by a score of 8-4 to take a 3-0 series lead. Philadelphia has scored 20 goals in the series with 16 coming in the last two games. FROM ELIAS: The last team to score at least 16 goals in consecutive Stanley Cup Playoff games is Wayne Gretzky's Los Angeles Kings in 1993, who scored 18 goals (nine in each) in consecutive games against the Calgary Flames. The Flyers had never scored 16 in consecutive Stanley Cup Playoff games and the Penguins had never allowed 16 in consecutive Stanley Cup Playoff games.

jtkratzer said:
Didn't say I was cheering for one or the other, but it would be nuts to see all those dudes, especially Richards and Carter back in Philly in a different uniform, in the Cup Finals.

I hear ya. SJ seems to have quite a few of their draft picks scattered around the league. Going back a couple of years every team in the play offs except NJ and Chicago had a draft pick from SJ. Seems they are are always developing good young players that get traded for a rental player that never pans out.

Sid, you're just sad and pathetic at this point:

"There's no real way to explain it, and that's kind of the way the series has gone," Penguins center Sidney Crosby said of allowing so much scoring. "If you add up our goals, it's pretty good, too [12 in three games].

"The bottom line is, we have to be better [offensively and defensively]. There's not a lot of explanation for some of the things that are happening. There are times when we're doing a good job and they get one chance in 10 minutes or seven minutes and it's in the back of the net. It's not always the easiest thing to explain."

The Flyers only get a chance here and there and get lucky to score on them and the Pens must be controlling and dominating the rest of the joke. This guy thinks he's a comedian, too.

Is the talk in Vancouver this silly?

Take out the 16 wins from the year they won the Cup, and Bylsma is 10-21 in the playoffs.

"Dan Bylsma passed Eddie Johnston for most Penguins playoff games coached. He reached 47. His record is 26-21 and includes the 2009 Stanley Cup title."

Sedin Sisters = 2 girls, NO CUP!!

Looks as though this fact will continue for yet another year. Gotta say, Duncan Keith's 'divide and conquer' theory is working well. Dirty hit? Oh, for f'n sure, no doubt! Effective? Very!!! The only thing that'll top watching the Cannucks writhe in mediocrity will be if the Hawks win the cup. Presidents Trophy? Meaningless in June if ya ask me, or any of the Cannucks players who proved just how meaningless it really is just last year, and are sure to add further proof to that fact after they get swept by the 8th seed.

TWEET TWEET TWEET
LET'S GO HAWKS!!!

+1 to this. Now if only I could keep my head up at work after all these late starts and OT. Oh, and I think each person should be limited to two posts per page max. I think some people like to read their own words too much. Remember 2010? Thought so.

Well, seems like the curse of the presidents trophy is holding true. Pretty glad the Rangers didnt win it..........

Also, love how they're calling what happen to Boyle a "pummeling". Even though he got up smiling and scored a goal later in the game. He seemed pretty ok to me. And, even though Hagelin got 3 games, I'm glad he did it. You take a run at and elbow our captain, you can expect the same in return. Luckily Callahan actually has some balls and stayed in the game.

Nick Kypreos ‏ @RealKyper

#SNPlayoffs breaking news. #Penguins Neal will have 2 separate #NHL discipline hearings Tues 10am. Asham will follow with in person @ 11am

Why Everyone Hates the Pittsburgh Penguins: A Fan's Take

The Pittsburgh Penguins came under fire in the weeks leading up to the playoffs. First, there was the Peter Laviolette incident, where the Flyers bench boss accused Penguins coach Dan Bylsma of putting out his checking line to injure his players, nearly jumping the glass to scream at him. Then, there was the John Torterella incident, where the Rangers head coach blasted the Penguins organization as being one of the "most arrogant organizations in the league."

So what's with all the Pittsburgh hate?

If you want to know why the Pittsburgh Penguins are the league's most hated team, it's because it's also the one with the least amount of class, the one with a hypocritical owner and the one with players who play with an intent to injure when they can't handle getting destroyed by the opposition. And all this came to fruition in Game 3 of the Stanley Cup Eastern Conference Quarterfinal Series against the Flyers. The Penguins, getting blasted on the score board courtesy of their in-state nemesis once again, reverted to cheap shots. There was Arron Asham, cross checking a Flyer in the throat and then sucker punching him, followed by James Neal leaving his feet to target the head of a Flyer player. Then there was NHL golden boy Sidney Crosby yapping and starting stuff after the whistle, knowing full well that the Flyers know his medical history. If they really wanted to, Philadelphia could have easily stooped to Pittsburgh's level in taking him out for good.

As someone with zero rooting interest in the Flyers, Penguins series, I became a big Flyer fan following that Game 3.

I love the NHL playoffs because it's physical, nasty and intense. But Pittsburgh crossed the line, big time. And it all starts up top. Mario Lemieux, one of the best players of all time, may also be one of the biggest hypocrites in the league. He publicly blasted the NHL for its "failure" in disciplining several New York Islanders players over a year ago in a fight-filled game with the Penguins. Yet, he was also the guy that signed cheap-shot artist Matt Cooke's checks. Admittedly, Cooke has cleaned up his game quite a bit since being suspended for his late-season actions last year. If he wanted to stay a Penguin he had to, coach Dan Bylsma, Lemiuex and General Manager Ray Shero told us. Evidently, that was all a bunch of "let's try to look good in the media" talk.

Yes, Pittsburgh's nonsense starts at the top and dribbles down to Bylsma. I was actually surprised by the poise Laviolette showed on the bench and more surprised that he didn't send someone out to pummel one of Pittsburgh's top guys. But Bylsma had absolutely no control over his bench. And after looking at themselves in the mirror first, management and ownership should consider relieving him of his duties this off-season because of it. And finally, the players are to blame. Crosby was unglued at the seams. Defenseman Kris Letang's stupidity cost him a game misconduct early in the first period. And Arron Asham and James Neal's cheap shots should get them hearings with the league's disciplinary office. Not to mention Craig Adam's instigator. Who even knows what the handshake line will look like when the Flyers mercifully finish off this embarrassing organization this season.

There's been a lot said about the Penguins from their competitors around the league lately. As evidenced in Game 3, it's all true.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-everyone-hates-pittsburgh-penguins-fans-143100536--nhl.html

Can you argue with this point of view? He's right about Lemieux.

Well, seems like the curse of the presidents trophy is holding true. Pretty glad the Rangers didnt win it..........

Also, love how they're calling what happen to Boyle a "pummeling". Even though he got up smiling and scored a goal later in the game. He seemed pretty ok to me. And, even though Hagelin got 3 games, I'm glad he did it. You take a run at and elbow our captain, you can expect the same in return. Luckily Callahan actually has some balls and stayed in the game.

:facepalm:

Any predications for Wednesday's Penguins/Flyers (or should I say Flyers/Penguins) game?

Background:
The Vegas over/under this morning was as high as 7. Now 6.5+100/105 (depending on establishment) on the under.
For the teams: PHI-130 PIT+110

My picks: (Disclaimer: This is probably why I stick to picking stocks and not sports teams)
I'd take the under as I expect the game to be tightly officiated and the opposite of the previous three games (yesterdays being the climax of the crazyness). I'd also take PIT (sucker that I am) + 110, although for reasoning that would make the under bet less likely: I think they will play for pride on Wednesday to show that they can play defense, won't be swept, and can play diciplined hockey.

Am I crazy? We shall see.

Any predications for Wednesday's Penguins/Flyers (or should I say Flyers/Penguins) game?

Background:
The Vegas over/under this morning was as high as 7. Now 6.5+100/105 (depending on establishment) on the under.
For the teams: PHI-130 PIT+110

My picks: (Disclaimer: This is probably why I stick to picking stocks and not sports teams)
I'd take the under as I expect the game to be tightly officiated and the opposite of the previous three games (yesterdays being the climax of the crazyness). I'd also take PIT (sucker that I am) + 110, although for reasoning that would make the under bet less likely: I think they will play for pride on Wednesday to show that they can play defense, won't be swept, and can play diciplined hockey.

Am I crazy? We shall see.

I'm also expecting a more disciplined game, i'm also hoping Philly tightens the noose early and shuts the game down.

I'd like a 3-1 win, with Bryz standing on his head to build some extra confidence going into round 2.

I think that's legit except for this - I agree on the extremely tight choker collar, remote shock collar, and short leash on Wednesday will lead to a higher number of power plays. At 60% efficiency for the the Flyers, I don't see them being held off the score sheet in that department, especially if the Penguins can't keep it together if they see an early Flyers lead. They're averaging two PP goals per game. The Pens PP has been no joke as well and we all know Philly has only had a handful of games in their existence without a penalty (I think one or two this year without looking).

I have no idea what to expect as I don't think anyone saw Sunday's train wreck coming. I do expect the Flyers to focus on getting the win and wrapping this up, and keeping their cool, especially if the hearings have Neal, Asham, and Adams out on Wednesday. The only one they'd have business leftover to deal with is Crosby.

My only hope for the game, especially if it's looking like a Flyers win, is the Penguins do the respectable thing and don't target star players and instigate a free for all resulting in injuries and suspensions.

EDIT: Barnzy, you beat me to it, but these were my thoughts before seeing your post.
I would love a 2-0 or 3-1 Flyers win with an empty netter to get Bryz and the defense on track for the next round.

I bet one sports game in my life and won on a last second TD to cover the spread. Haven't bet a game is almost 10 years.

Copyright, I really am not trying to rub this in your face at all, not in the slightest, but the article you sent me in that PM was awesome in that there was someone in the Pittsburgh media with some sense of reality. I don’t read much of their press as it’s usually pretty sickening, like their home broadcast. So, after reading that article by Kovacevic, I thought I’d see what else he’s written. I wasn’t surprised by what I found published prior to Game 1. Let’s dissect, shall we?

Kovacevic: Say it: Penguins will win Cup
It`s been three years since Marc-Andre Fleury slid across to stone Nicklas Lidstrom and Sidney Crosby raised the Stanley Cup on that joyous June 12, 2009, at Joe Louis Arena.

Three long, lousy years.

Or, to put that in more painfully precise terms, it`s been 101 games lost by Crosby to concussions and other stuff, 61 games lost by Evgeni Malkin to knee injuries and other stuff, and 60 games lost by Jordan Staal to two foot surgeries, three related procedures, an infection, a broken hand, a strained knee and … am I missing something?

Oh, yeah: Two Game 7 losses to inferior opponents on home ice.

Those might have hurt the most.

Blah blah blah, injuries are why we lost, blah blah blah inferior opponents, blah…

Anyone ready for a change?

Anyone ready for all that misfortune to take a hard Pittsburgh left?

I can name at least 20 individuals — notably the 10 who were in uniform that defining night in Detroit — who sure sound ready to generate that change, beginning with Game 1 against the Flyers on this great Wednesday for hockey at Consol Energy Center.

"The fire is there, for sure," Crosby said Tuesday after practice.

"This team`s really hungry," right winger Craig Adams said.

"We`ve wanted it all along," defenseman Brooks Orpik said. "The desire was there even last year when we were playing without Sid and Geno. This year, it`s just a little more realistic."

Sure is.

Ok, some hype, fine.

Everyone around town has been sharing their first-round predictions in recent days. Here`s mine: These Penguins are going to win the Stanley Cup.

And when they do, few of us will even remember how they took out the Flyers.

Well, this isn’t looking good.

I`m not suggesting it`ll be easy. Clearly, it won`t, based on the rivals` heated, mostly even back-and-forth this season. But I am saying there isn`t another NHL team — not the Flyers, Canucks, Blues, Predators, Rangers or anyone else — that can match the Penguins` total package.

Mostly even? Flyers won 4-2 on the series and lost the final meaningless game. Can’t match the total package? How about destroy it?

Scoring?

That was No. 1 in the league, led by the game`s preeminent players in Crosby and Malkin and suddenly one of its preeminent wingers in James Neal.

Self explanatory.

Depth?

Not many teams can claim seven players with 17 or more goals, and bear in mind that Crosby isn`t among them. He had eight. Chris Kunitz (26), Pascal Dupuis (25) and Matt Cooke (19) all had career-high outputs in supporting roles.

I think you missed the Flyers rookies (Read, Schenn, Cooter, Wellwood, etc). JVR and Sestito are back on the ice again if this series somehow manages to last beyond Wednesday. Take Rinaldo out and put JVR in and the Penguins thought they had trouble already. Let Crosby grab Sestito by the collar.

Special teams?

The power play ranked fifth, the penalty-killing third. If your biggest problem on special teams is how to utilize the best player on the planet with the man-advantage, you have no problems.

PP has been decent, but PK…40% effective? I thought we were going for high score.

Defense?

It`s got a star in Kris Letang, it`s got good mobility and, while it`s hardly rambunctious, I wouldn`t cross the blue line with my head down against Letang, Deryk Engelland or Orpik. That`s half the corps right there.

Averaging 6.67 goals against is not great defense, especially when Letang gets himself ejected in the first.

Toughness?

This is as tough as any roster, top to bottom, in franchise history. And I`m not talking about fights, which are rare in the playoffs. I`m talking Adams tough, Arron Asham tough, in-your-face tough.

There’s a difference between tough and dirty. We saw what happened on Sunday with Adams and Asham both facing potential suspensions. That’s not toughness.

Discipline?

OK, we`ll see on this one. Suffice it to say facing the Flyers first should help.
See above. It’s lacking.

Goaltending?

Of the current top performers at the game`s most important position, Fleury is the only one with a ring. That counts.

Maybe instead of juggling that soccer ball before games to loosen up, they should shoot it at Fleury to build his confidence.

Add all this up, look at the rest of the field, and don`t be afraid to say it: This team is built to win the Cup.

What’s on paper and around your fingers only matters when you apply it and execute properly on the ice. All the hype, talk, and stats don’t mean squat and certainly isn’t a free Stanley Cup card.

Not to take a round or two.

Not to reach the final.

To win it all.

What about winning a single game?

The way most in this locker room see it, they should have challenged for the Cup every year since 2009. They should have reaped so much more from this blessed well of talent, and they would have had it not been for the curse of injury.

Injury excuses again. What will it be this time? Do they have the balls to tear this team apart like Holmgren did with Carter and Richards?

"I think now comes the realization, with these last couple years, that you don`t know when you`ll get the opportunity again," Cooke said. "You don`t know when you`re going to have a full lineup like this. You don`t know when you`re going to have all this potential like we have. You want to make the most of it."

He`s right.

Now, dump the Flyers in five or six and get on with it. There`s bigger business at hand.

I don’t need to say anything on this line other than maybe the Pens were strangely looking beyond the Flyers. Not sure why…

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/columnists/s_790763.html#ixzz1sDsnT8bG

sp_1411_clip05_original.jpg

Penguins nation needs Captain Hindsight

Stated on a Pittsburgh sports talk show tonight by Joe Starkey: "Not only is Dan Blyma's team getting humiliated by the Flyers, they are turning into the Flyers".
well - one thing is for sure- dan bylsma wont be the coach of either of those teams. one thing in common there...

Ultimately some will be held responsible for this circus and heads will roll! :ban:

beerloaf

Hey Kratzer, you may have the most enlightened posts in this entire thread.

Although,, I wouldn't know because they're so goddam long I can't be bothered to read them!!

Internet rules clearly state ten sentences max, including all quotes, unless interspersed with funny captioned pictures of cats doing things....

StittsvilleJames said:
Hey Kratzer, you may have the most enlightened posts in this entire thread.

Although,, I wouldn't know because they're so goddam long I can't be bothered to read them!!

Internet rules clearly state ten sentences max, including all quotes, unless interspersed with funny captioned pictures of cats doing things....

a.aaa-Driving-Cat.jpeg

Missing tonights game for this silly thing called work. Be sure to talk trash with lots of detail. Thanx..........

Let's GO RAnGERS!!!!!!

How's the Ny Ottawa game goin?? Everyone behaving??

I see Spezza racking up penalty minutes. Not gonna score in the box dummy, hahahahahah.

OHHHH BOYLE!!!!!!!!!!! Scoring big goals while Carkner or whatever sits and watches. He must be pissed, hahahahahahahahah!!!!

Let's GO RanGeRs!!!!!!!!!!!!

How's Matt Carle working out for ya?

What does that have to do with California?

He's a UFA and will more than likely not be resigned. I wouldn't be surprised to see JvR traded for a d-man, someone like Luke Schenn, to replace him.

How's Joe Thornton working out this time around in the playoffs? Disappearing act again? Looks like it with 0 points and a -1 in 2 games. Over 25% drop in production from the regular season to the second season for Big Joe over his career.

Latest posts

Back