Enzyme availability in Australia - Will these alpha amylase products work for GF?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goatusmaximus

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm an experienced AG brewer making the eye opening transition to AG Gluten Free mashing.

I have sourced myself some malted millet and rice malts - but finding the recommended enzymes seems to be a bit tricky here in Australia. Below are the two enzymes I have been able to find locally. Any comments on if they will work or my suggested method would be super helpful:

Still Spirits Alpha Amylase - This seems to be meant for distilling - denatures at 85C (185F) so I guess I would mash in up near boiling to gelatinise, then drop the mash temp to recommended enzyme mash temp (70C/158F) and add the enzyme. Instructions based on destilling say to leave it there overnight, but i assume that's because they want maximum conversion - should a 90min mash here give me a "regular beer" type conversion do you think? Are all alpha amylase enzymes the same?

White Labs Optimash (Spec Sheet)- Another alpha amylase product which seems to be actually aimed at beer brewing - but by its description I get the feeling it is more just to assist in a standard mash with adjuncts rather than breaking down the entire mash like will be required if i kill off the natural enzymes by doing the super high temp mash in as above. Would this mean it would be less powerful etc?

Any thoughts?
Cheers

The first should work, based on my limited experience. Ask The Gluten Free Brewer on Facebook for a definitive answer.

Back