Entering dead guy into a comp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orangemen5

Reaction score
I brewed a dead guy clone and wondering what category I should enter it into. Here's the recipe

10lbs 2row
3lbs munich 10L
.75lbs crystal 10L
.75lbs crystal 20L

1.75oz. Perle 8.5%AA @60
.25oz perle 8.5%AA @5
.25 oz saaz 3%AA @5
2oz saaz 3%AA @1

I know it's not a true maibock because it doesn't use lager yeast. I did use pacman and fermented cool @60 degrees. So it could be lager like. I'm thinking it could placed in the amber category since i used all yeast. Would the noble hops lower the score for an amber ? Has anyone entered a dead guy clone into a comp and scored well ? What category did you enter it into ? Thanks

I brewed a dead guy clone and wondering what category I should enter it into. Here's the recipe

10lbs 2row
3lbs munich 10L
.75lbs crystal 10L
.75lbs crystal 20L

1.75oz. Perle 8.5%AA @60
.25oz perle 8.5%AA @5
.25 oz saaz 3%AA @5
2oz saaz 3%AA @1

I know it's not a true maibock because it doesn't use lager yeast. I did use pacman and fermented cool @60 degrees. So it could be lager like. I'm thinking it could placed in the amber category since i used all yeast. Would the noble hops lower the score for an amber ? Has anyone entered a dead guy clone into a comp and scored well ? What category did you enter it into ? Thanks

Dead Guy is not a true Maibock. How it was classified as such is beyond me. There is politics everywhere you look. I think your brew, well executed, would be very tasty. Here's a tip, a well brewed ale with a bit of lagering time, <40f for 4 weeks, can pull itself off just fine as a lager. So go for it.

It was classified as a "Maier"bock, named after John Maier (head brewer for rogue). It's sort of punny. Rogue likes to do that sort of thing. I think the rest of the world calls it an Amber Ale.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I thought someone had past away and you wanted to enter his beers into a competition in his honor... oops.

Ya so, my dad died and I wanna know what category to enter him in.

But seriously tho, the website says its a German maibock style. Maybe if you shoot them an email, someone might give you some insight. The website has a link to all the awards they have won, they have to know what category they entered it into, right?

Back