What style for Hoppy Amber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsbs2

Reaction score
I am about to enter my first homebrew competition after brewing for about 3 years, but am at a loss for what category I need to enter my beer into. The best I can describe is as is a hoppy amber. It's basically a Rogue Dead Guy turned into a mild IPA. The recipe is as follows:

For a 5 gallon batch size:
12 Lbs 2-row
1 Lb 3 oz Crystal 40
10 Oz special B
1.75 oz cascade (75 min)
1 Oz amarillo gold (10 min)

Pacman yeast at 60 degrees for 2 weeks
Dryhop with .5 oz Amarillo gold for 1 week

Keg and carbonate!

This is my first post on here after long time lurking so any extra info I'm missing please let me know!

Yep!

Not nearly enough hops to be a Specialty (Red) IPA in cat 21B...

Style description/comparison for 19A (American Amber):

Darker, more caramelly, more body, and generally less bitter in the balance than American Pale Ales. Less alcohol, bitterness, and hop character than Red IPAs. Less strength, malt, and hop character than American Strong Ales. Should not have a strong chocolate or roast character that might suggest an American brown ale (although small amounts are OK).

Very interesting, I have a hoppy, red-ish "house beer" I make very similar to what OP describes, and I've been struggling to figure out what to tell people when they ask what style of beer it is supposed to be. Since "pale ale" gets thrown around to cover a wide range of beers, I've been using that, albeit reluctantly. The beer meets that 19A "American Amber" description to a tee, so I guess now I have my answer. :D

Glad I could help!! This is my house beer as well. I can never keep enough of it in the keg! Always seem to have one fermenting!

Back