Enough Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JwP33

Reaction score
I am not sure if I will have enough yeast for a 1.075 brew.

I made a 1500ml starter with 150g of DME using wyeast from 04/09/12.
I chilled, decanted and then
I stepped up this starter to 2000ml with 180g of DME.

I used a stir plate for both of these and unfortunatley during the stepup
the starter blew off twice all over the plate and flask.
As I cleaned up the blow off I couldn't help but notice all the yeast not just liquid.
So I am wondering if I lost too much yeast?
Any thoughts?

You'll probably be fine unless you lost over 1/3 of the starter. If that's the case, pitch a little extra yeast.

Next time, use a little fermcap liquid in your starter flask. Prevents those nasty blowoff problems.

I absolutely hate when starters blow off !!! That is my brewing pet peev. You'll probably be fine if you under pitch there could be issues but I would relax a d roll the dice according to mr. Malty you would have needed a 1.86 l starter assuming a 75% viability if the initial yeast package. You would need 211 billion cells for this beer. Of you really wanted to be safe and have the option you could pitch the starter as well as another vial or smack pack o yeast and ten you know for sure you would be in the ball park for yeast.

Just pitch it. A lot of folks get away with just pitching the vial or pack. You are way ahead of that.

Calder said:
Just pitch it. A lot of folks get away with just pitching the vial or pack. You are way ahead of that.

I've got probably 20 batches under my belt, never made a starter. My last batch was a hobgoblin clone, I just dumped the vial and called it good. Always made good stuff!

Back