Enough yeast to carb?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turbobrew90

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to this forum and I'm in the middle of my first homebrew! I've about wore out the search function answering all my questions but there is one I cannot seem to find. I'm hoping this hasn't been beat to death already (my apologies if it has) I've added multiple fruits into my west coast IPA at different times in primary experimenting and have had zero activity in the airlock and my gravity has stayed at exactly 1.010 (OG 1.049) and I'm curious if my yeast has died, went dormant? In either scenario will my beer still carb once i add priming sugar and bottle or do you think an extra step needs to be introduced? Thank you all in advance!

I had the same question when I started brewing. The straight answer is there are plenty of yeast left to carb your beer. There are yeast that have died, but plenty dormant in suspension to carb your bottles.

You should be good. Once you add the priming sugar they'll perk back up again assuming you followed proper sanitation procedures for adding the fruit.
When I bottle I cold crash before racking over to the bottling bucket and they always carbonate up nicely at room temp for 3 weeks.

Thank you NGD and bobeer I am relieved to hear those answers! I am loving homebrewing and I am excited to start on my next batch! Thank you for your replies and cheers! 🍻

Back