Enhancing IBUs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcjmil

Reaction score
Hi

Big fan of American style IPAs...

I got a kit that includes 3 "sets" of hops to be added into the wort during different parts of the boil. The last step tells me to add 3 Cascade Hop Plugs for 0 minutes.

I want to make this extract kit taste like an actual IPA - I'm thinking New Glarus' Hop Hearty Ale like (if you've ever heard of it, and if you have not, visit their website)

Should I boil the last hops longer to make a more bitter ale?

No, because hop aroma is also a big part of the IPA experience. If yuo boil them longer, you'll lose that. You could:

Take one of the plugs from that last addition, and move it to an earlier addition, or
Boil one of your earlier additions longer. If there's a 30-minute addition, boil it for 45.

If you've never made the kit before, you might just want to stick with the recipe as is...it's an IPA kit, so it's probably set up to deliver you some IPA-ness.

EDIT: what is the recipe?

If you're going for big hop bitterness, I'd also advise you, IF you're doing only a partial boil, to do a late extract addition. When your water comes to a boil, add only HALF the malt extract (liquid or dry.) Proceed as normal, but add the last half of the malt extract 15 mins before the end of the boil. This results in much better bitterness extraction.

Back