English Brown Ale Bottling today! Priming ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diesel48

Reaction score
I am bottling my very first batch of beer today. It was a brewers best english brown ale. It came with 5 oz of priming sugar. The instructions say to boil the sugar in 2 cups of water. From the table I have read 5oz of priming sugar seems to be way to much. What do you suggest? Do you need to let the sugar/water mixture cool down before add the beer to the bottling bucket?

5 ounces is the standard or "generic" amount of sugar that comes with most kits, it produces around 2.6 volumes of co2. If you are just starting out that's fine to do. Other folks carb to style. But of you are starting out that fine.

Heck even though I often carb to style a good percentage of the time I just go with 5 ounces and don't bother with the chart, or it calculates out to that much anyway.

The kit makers know what they are doing.

As to letting it cool, opinions vary since you are dumping it into a bottling bucket, which should have some sanitizer in the bottom, and you are racking cooler liquid into it, it's going to drop temps quiclkly.

You can if you want, let the priming solution cool. It's really a matter of preference.

I have removing solution from stove rolled into my sanitzation routine, so it ends up cooling off for about 5-7 minutes whil3 I'm sanitizing the final case of bottles, and gettig ready to rack.

But dumping it straight off from the stove won't hurt anything either, like so much in this hobby there are many ways to do things and they all work fine.

I outline my process and offer lots of tips here in the sticky above.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bottling-tips-homebrewer-94812/

Thanks Revvy! I did read your sticky several times over the past 3 weeks while waiting for fermentation to complete. When I took the gravity ready I tried some of the warm flat beer, it tasted like beer, and it did not taste bad at all. In fact the flavor profile seemed weaker than what I expected. Could that be because it still needs time to age and develop its full flavor?

Thanks Revvy! I did read your sticky several times over the past 3 weeks while waiting for fermentation to complete. When I took the gravity ready I tried some of the warm flat beer, it tasted like beer, and it did not taste bad at all. In fact the flavor profile seemed weaker than what I expected. Could that be because it still needs time to age and develop its full flavor?

Yes and it also needs carbonation. The co2 will change the body and mouthfeel immensely.

Latest posts

Back