End of secondary pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gush

Reaction score
This is my first solo brew after helping a buddy do his boil. I am assuming the below pictures are showing that the beer needs a few more days to settle as the yeast seems to be still suspended. What i am talking about looks like little fingers running down at the top part of the lighted side of the carboy.

I started the beer in a 6 gallon carboy, then i racked to secondary (5-gal carboy with ribs) after ~5-6days because the krausen had fallen. I noticed the yeast was collecting on the ribs of the carboy (which is normal). Now the yeast has seem to start falling down the sides of the carboy. The trail almost looks like a jelly fish or some sort of gelatin (and moves as such).

Its been in the secondary carboy for 2 weeks tomorrow. But i think i will be holding up for a few days to see if any more settles out. I might try cold crashing the carboy in the sink with water/ice to see if that helps? Will that affect bottling? Will all the yeast drop out or will i still be left with enouch to carbonate?

The recipie is located here: http://robshomebrew.com/RobsPorter.html I used the 1056 yeast.

on a side note, I think my carboy is cracked... and i dont think i should move it again to the floor if the beer does need to sit for a few days longer. I guess i will have to inspect it a bit more once this beer is out.

on a side note, I think my carboy is cracked... and i dont think i should move it again to the floor if the beer does need to sit for a few days longer. I guess i will have to inspect it a bit more once this beer is out.

Yeah that's a crack all right. I'd leave it alone until you rack your beer and then very carefilly dispose of the carboy. Then it's time to invest in a Better Bottle.

I just ordered a 6 gallon carboy online at amazon.com. I am living at home again in my parents basement (sold my first house and looking for the next one). Once I get my own place again I am going to be making a carboy stand and using a small pump (buon vino bypassing the filter) to transfer. I like the sanitary properties of the glass and that there is almost no worries of scratching. And once I eliminate the possibilities of bumping or dropping the carboys by not having to move them (except when cleaning) i will be much better off.

I just bought a bottling bucket and lid, but i only want to use it for bottling for the time being. I guess i will have to wait for my new carboy to arrive till i can brew 2-beers at once.

p.s.
I just put the carboy in the sink and filled it with cold tap water and some ice. The sink is at ~ 42* and i think it has already started to drop suspended yeast out of the beer. The few bubbles that have been sitting on top but decreasing in size over the past 2 weeks have almost dissapeared.. After only a few minutes in the ice bath! Also, i shined a light on the carboy again and couldnt see the things i took pictures of.

Latest posts

Back