End of Ferm at 1010

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Izzoard

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a 9L batch of shop bought juice, initial sg 1060, to which I added 220g honey. It fermented for 9-10 days then stopped (no visible bubbling for a day).

The sg is now 1010, meaning there's sugar left but no ferm.

1) Could the alcohol have killed the yeast? I used the remaining yeast from a previous batch, which was initially standard wine making yeast, so I presume can take up to 11-12%.

2) When adding honey, it there any way to know how the sg is impacted, hence the end % alcohol content?

3) I wanted to make sparkling cider, is 1010 bottled likely to create hand grenades? I was figuring I add sugar anyway, it's there as it is, so maybe just bottle it into capped beer bottles.
Thanks for any help!

Read this thread, as somebody got stuck at 1.008, so basically the same problem.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/stuck-cider-162343/

I don't think your yeast is dead. Try adding some yeast nutrient. Swirl or stir if you can - shaking will mix the lees back in, and it may cause problems clearing.

Honey should be the same on the hydrometer. I have not heard of it being otherwise.

Is your hydrometer calibrated correctly?

3) I wanted to make sparkling cider, is 1010 bottled likely to create hand grenades?

If the yeast have truly stopped/diied (with fermentables still remaining), how is adding more sugar going to cause bottle bombs? Or even carbonate your cider at all for that matter?

I agree with the above poster, try to rouse the yeast through any number of tricks.

2) When adding honey, it there any way to know how the sg is impacted, hence the end % alcohol content?
!

the way to know how much the honey effected the sg would be to drop a hydrometer in there and take a new reading after the addition of the honey.

the way to know how much the honey effected the sg would be to drop a hydrometer in there and take a new reading after the addition of the honey.

Correct. Because the amount of moisture in honey can varry. The only way to know what your OG was is to take a reading after you have added your honey and mixed it so that it has blended well.

Correct. Because the amount of moisture in honey can varry. The only way to know what your OG was is to take a reading after you have added your honey and mixed it so that it has blended well.

10-4

I just got a bad reading on pyment this afternoon, even though the honey was "blended well" visibly, I had a bad initial hydro reading because my sample was slightly less dense than the whole batch.

When blending honey at room temp, I suggest you take more than one sample to be sure.

I figured that the honey would have to be fully mixed with the apple juice for an accurate reading. Perhaps I'll try to heat some juice, add the cider and mix before adding to the batch next time...

It started again, very slowly but it seems when I decanted it to remove the sediment, the yeast started up again.

Latest posts

Back