Enclosure Grounding Posts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flugelizor

Reaction score
I bought one of those Kal style enclosures from ebay.

It has unthreaded posts on the lid and in the box to attach the ground wires.
Am I supposed to thread it myself?
I have dies, but it's a tight squeeze.

Any reason not to just put a bolt through the back plate and ground that?

And the hinges provide connectivity between the cover and the box.

You should check to ensure there aren't nylon bushings in the hinges that could affect path to earth. What brand of enclosure is it?

Eric

And the hinges provide connectivity between the cover and the box.

Don't take the chance with the hinges, bond the door regardless.

A bolt is fine, just be sure to remove a little paint so that it gets a solid metal-to-metal connection. Use one nut to fasten the bolt to the housing then hold your wire connections down with another nut. Use a locking washer of some description too.

Since it sounds like you are kind of following Kal's build why not do what he did? He mentioned that he relocated the ground post as it was in the way of the blue power light.

It may not be the case in your build but no reason you couldn't do this to get a bolt in place of the post that is there now.

Here is where he talks about it.

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/control-panel-part-1?page=7

Yeah I saw that. I also removed mine from the lid. But not the two inside.
I am just wondering how they intended it to be used.

Yeah I saw that. I also removed mine from the lid. But not the two inside.
I am just wondering how they intended it to be used.

If you look at these pics from his site, you can see how he has everything run to a stud on the side wall. Not sure if that is the built in stud or a bolt he added. Do you have a post in this location? I looked at your ebay link and I could see the one on the cover but not the others.

IMG_6713wire.jpg

IMG_6681_letters_powerin.jpg

Are you putting handles on like Kal? If so, depending on where the screw is relative to the insulation, you might be able to attach the ground wire to the handle screw.

Back