Empty Sanke Keg Prices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mirilis

Lvl 10 Beer Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So on craigslist in my area theres a guy with an empty AB keg. He wants $150 bucks for it. (unconverted.. just an empty bud keg)

I sent him an email telling him if he still had it. (made the post a month ago) then i would buy it from him for 30 bucks, and he thought i was crazy.

his exact quote was "R U NUTS?, ITS PPL LIKE YOU THAT SHOULD NOT OWN A COMPUTER"

was i really off on the cost of an empty bud keg? Or are they really 150 bucks.. i can buy a converted one on ebay for that much.

That sounds high to me. Write back "R U LITERATE? AND STOP YELLING AT ME!"

I hate when people type in all caps and use stupid text message contractions. Double whammy.

you can buy a full keg of Bud for $80 (I know from my college days). When you return it to the liquir store they give you $10 deposit. (I am in Michigan)

I would say it is worth $10. Making the beer worth $70. The guy is trying to rip you off. For that price you can just go out and buy a full keg and save money.

Regarding the guy looking to get $150... That's probably a significant chunk of the cost of a brand-new keg from the manufacturer... I would ask him to justify how he legally owns the keg (rather than the old pay-the-deposit-and-run), and as your reasoning explain the legality of selling a keg that you only rented on a deposit but do not own, and 'offer' to contact your local anheuser-busch distributor on his behalf in order to clarify... and if he keeps being a dick, go ahead and follow through - which will be especially good if he has already given you a phone number and/or address first :)

cglkaptc said:
you can buy a full keg of Bud for $80 (I know from my college days). When you return it to the liquir store they give you $10 deposit. (I am in Michigan)

I would say it is worth $10. Making the beer worth $70. The guy is trying to rip you off. For that price you can just go out and buy a full keg and save money.
I don't want to start another keg morality thread, there are already plenty, so you can refer to them if you want, but in case you weren't aware, what you just described is generally considered illegal, and most would say highly immoral. Of course there are still plenty of homebrewers who go that route anyway, but I still don't think it's fair to argue that they're only WORTH the deposit price, because the actual value is quite a bit higher.

This is why many homebrewers turn to craigslist and other sources, hoping to find kegs that were LEGALLY obtained (purchased from a distributor or scrap yard or whatever) rather than taking the easy route and basically stealing one from the distributor - which directly costs the local distributor $70+ (not even counting the parent company's loss), as I was told when I called my local place.

The kegs can be bought brand new from SABCO with the tops cut off for about 150, I don't know what shipping is, but if you are going to pay new prices go that route and get a new one.

Im lookin for an old keg on the cheap, i have 2 already i need the third one so i can start workin on my setup. I ordered the Nov BYO for the brutus plans i may just build that stand, since i will have the materials for it readily available for free, or the cost of the grinder blade to cut it.

I just got 3 Sanke kegs over the course of 2 weeks for an average of $25 a piece (20, 25, and 30) on Craigs List. A lot of times people wanted 40-50, I emailed and told them I'd give'em $25 and they obliged.

I also refreshed my add about 2 times a week and there were almost always hits the day after I refreshed-- I'd suggest the same. Good Luck!

Mirilis said:
So on craigslist in my area theres a guy with an empty AB keg. He wants $150 bucks for it. (unconverted.. just an empty bud keg)

I sent him an email telling him if he still had it. (made the post a month ago) then i would buy it from him for 30 bucks, and he thought i was crazy.

his exact quote was "R U NUTS?, ITS PPL LIKE YOU THAT SHOULD NOT OWN A COMPUTER"
Post the ad URL...that way we can all write him and offer $20-$30. Maybe he'll see the light.

Or, forward the URL to AB and see what they think of it.

I guess I'm wondering how your ever suppose to know that the keg you are buying is "legal" not that I'm too worried about it but I bought my keg off of CL as well but I highly doubt that I would ever be able to find out if it was "legal". +1 on that being way too expensive, there is a guy on CL around here that says that $60 for a keg is bellow scrap price, which is a load of crap, it's probably why he has had it up there for the last couple of months.

we have crazy keg deposits here in new york.

my friends parents own a bar and supposedly when the kegs get old the brewery doesn't bother to come pick them up they are effectively "decommissioned" and he gives them to me.

moral? who knows.

I wonder how he'd feel getting a text message on that phone number offering thirty bucks and an empty can of Sparks?

Here's how you get FREE kegs!............

Go to your local college campus the day after Spring break and talk to the campus police. Ask them if they found empty, or not, kegs that the drunk students left around the campus and then tell em your story and ask if you can have a few. More often than not they will give em to you for free or a couple of bottles of your first born. The guys at UCSD had a ROOM FULL OF THEM! I got two for free, converted at Stainless solutions for 60 bucks!

The craigslist poster is now yelling at people saying :FOLKS, PLEASE DONT SEND ANY REDICULOUS E MAIL OFFERS!!!

RickWG said:
Here's how you get FREE kegs!............

Go to your local college campus the day after Spring break and talk to the campus police. Ask them if they found empty, or not, kegs that the drunk students left around the campus and then tell em your story and ask if you can have a few. More often than not they will give em to you for free or a couple of bottles of your first born. The guys at UCSD had a ROOM FULL OF THEM! I got two for free, converted at Stainless solutions for 60 bucks!
I just may have to give that a try! University at Buffalo is pretty close to me.

Looks like he's dropped it to $100 (link) and has kindly warned us:
"PLEASE DONT SEND ANY REDICULOUS E MAIL OFFERS!"

I sent him the following message:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 2:52 PM
Subject: used anheiser busch beer keg - $100

R U NUTS?, ITS PPL LIKE YOU THAT SHOULD NOT OWN A COMPUTER

Oh, and judging from the picture either the seller or the company doesn't know how to spell "anheiser".

Send him something on the order of;

I will like to buy you beer keg. I live in Bolivia I can pay you with a check. I need to have you cash it for me. Send me your social security number and bank account information. I are willing to pay double shipping if you can arrange.

http://www.homebrewing.org/9-Gallon-Stainless-Steel-Brew-Pot_p_79-274.html

From the first in referenced above me. Is this for real? Doesn't that seem like a good deal fora 9 gallon SS pot? or am i missing something?

Also to the OP- I have 8 5 gallon sanke kegs I am selling for $20 each plus shipping. Don't know if these could fit your needs? They are basically Cornies with Sanke Valves.

Back