Eliminating GOOGLE as search function

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZooBrew

Reaction score
Every time you use Google anything, they copy your IP address along with your search history and sell it or make it available to any Governmental agency.

HOMEBREWTALK uses Google as a search function.

This is the Search Engine I use: http://us2.startpage.com/eng/aboutstartpage/

StartPage search engine does not copy you IP address. Check it out.

I would hope the administrators would adopt a privacy orientated search engine.

What is your source on google selling your personal information, as far as I know, google does not sell search history.

I'd rather have people sell my search history and actually be able to get what I need. Then do "private" endless searches never getting the correct information. Just my opinion. Google search for this site has been a TREMENDOUS upgrade in actually preventing repeat questions and getting quick answers.

Sounds like this fella is in bed with this other search engine. I smell spam!

I use Ixquick as well. Google holds your search history for very long time, and they deal with the NSA.

If you're not doing anything wrong, why does it matter? Sure, I search for weird or controversial things from time to time, but since the information is out there, there is obviously a demand for it.

Why don't you PM the admin and ask instead of making a stink about it.

Unless you're using TOR over SSH, you're only being fashionably paranoid. ;)

i have startpage as a search engine also i found it while listening to a tech program on am radio. it has a setup option that lets you screen out inappropriate web sites. plus nobody need to know my business anyway.

Fashionably paranoid?

Well I've never been accused of being fashionably oblivious.

Expressing concerns about forum functions need not be hidden from members. Especially the use of obscure arcane acronyms. At least I don't have MHUMA. And I don't have an unpronouncable nickname and don't drink homebrews out of a plastic champagne chalice either.

Writing that I'm being fashionably paranoid is 'name-calling' in the same context as my deleted post characterized. However, I would never lobby for equal temperament.

If you were truly interested in changing the policy or the reasons for the google search, you'd take it up with the admin in a PM before you post about it.

It's a plastic cup full of Big Sky Scapegoat that I drank right after I finished either my 4th or 5th marathon, I don't recall.

Assuming my motive is ridiculous at best.

Read my previous post again for clarity and recall.

One good thing about this thread is that it's got a bunch of people to look into the subject.

You have not given a reputable source for your claim that Google sells or makes available IP addresses connected to search queries to Governments. Unless you can provide hard evidence of this claim I will hold your words to be insubstantial and your integrity to be non-existent.

One good thing about this thread is that it's got a bunch of people to look into the subject.

Im typing this using chrome and I love it..... bing and yahoo is predictive with their searches and advertisements as well. the amount of electronic info stored about most people is unimaginable I can find all my previous residences from one site. And thats just the tip of the epic info mountain

Start by reading their privacy policy. You'll have to do this when you're sober, though.

Start by reading their privacy policy. You'll have to do this when you're sober, though.

I am very capable of comprehending the fine print involved right now thank you... Definitely will read them and see how they compare to googles I will imagine its pretty much the same.

There was an interview w/ the CEO of Google on one of the news channels about this a couple weeks ago. They apparently store your search information for a few years (I think 2?). I think many people are still unaware of this, but it's good information to know. Up to everyone to decide if they're comfortable w/ their information being stored online and being used for whatever the company decides to do w/ it.

link to article about google and yahoo using online history to target advertising

This is each of the big threes information gathering details from their privacy policys
Yahoos

Yahoo! automatically receives and records information from your computer and browser, including your IP address, Yahoo! cookie information, software and hardware attributes, and the page you request.

Yahoo! uses information for the following general purposes: to customize the advertising and content you see, fulfill your requests for products and services, improve our services, contact you, conduct research, and provide anonymous reporting for internal and external clients.

Googles

Information we collect and how we use it

We offer a number of services that do not require you to register for an account or provide any personal information to us, such as Google Search. In order to provide our full range of services, we may collect the following types of information:

Information you provide – When you sign up for a Google Account or other Google service or promotion that requires registration, we ask you for personal information (such as your name, email address and an account password). For certain services, such as our advertising programs, we also request credit card or other payment account information which we maintain in encrypted form on secure servers. We may combine the information you submit under your account with information from other Google services or third parties in order to provide you with a better experience and to improve the quality of our services. For certain services, we may give you the opportunity to opt out of combining such information.
Cookies – When you visit Google, we send one or more cookies – a small file containing a string of characters – to your computer or other device that uniquely identifies your browser. We use cookies to improve the quality of our service, including for storing user preferences, improving search results and ad selection, and tracking user trends, such as how people search. Google also uses cookies in its advertising services to help advertisers and publishers serve and manage ads across the web. We may set one or more cookies in your browser when you visit a website, including Google sites that use our advertising cookies, and view or click on an ad supported by Google’s advertising services.
Affiliated Google Services on other sites – We offer some of our services on or through other web sites. Personal information that you provide to those sites may be sent to Google in order to deliver the service. We process such information under this Privacy Policy. The affiliated sites through which our services are offered may have different privacy practices and we encourage you to read their privacy policies.
Gadgets – Google may make available third party applications through its services. The information collected by Google when you enable a gadget or other application is processed under this Privacy Policy. Information collected by the application or gadget provider is governed by their privacy policies.
Location data – Google offers location-enabled services, such as Google Maps for mobile. If you use those services, Google may receive information about your actual location (such as GPS signals sent by a mobile device) or information that can be used to approximate a location (such as a cell ID).
Links – Google may present links in a format that enables us to keep track of whether these links have been followed. We use this information to improve the quality of our search technology, customized content and advertising. Read more information about links and redirected URLs.
Other sites – This Privacy Policy applies to Google services only. We do not exercise control over the sites displayed as search results, sites that include Google applications, products or services, or links from within our various services. These other sites may place their own cookies or other files on your computer, collect data or solicit personal information from you.
Google only processes personal information for the purposes described in this Privacy Policy and/or the supplementary privacy notices for specific services. In addition to the above, such purposes include:

Providing our services, including the display of customized content and advertising;
Auditing, research and analysis in order to maintain, protect and improve our services;
Ensuring the technical functioning of our network;
Protecting the rights or property of Google or our users; and
Developing new services.

Bings
Uses of Information
Additional Details
•
We use the information we collect to provide the services you request. Our services may include the display of personalized content and advertising.
•
We use your information to inform you of other products or services offered by Microsoft and its affiliates, and to send you relevant survey invitations related to Microsoft services.
•
We do not sell, rent, or lease our customer lists to third parties. In order to help provide our services, we occasionally provide information to other companies that work on our behalf.

OK, so just have a quick think about Google. It is by FAR the largestinformation holding source on the planet. It was amazing when they just stored infinite web search information, but as of the last few years, they:

Have documented most of the entire planet.. I mean ALL of it, much of it with "Street View" so you can look into the windows of a house 10,000 miles away.

Can trace you to exactly where you are, via GPS (If you download and activate the software)

Can have a picture uploaded and immediately tell the sender what it is.. including picture verification. Yes, i mean a picture of YOU. Once it has been sent in.. they have it and anyone else on the planet that send a picture of you.. google knows it you.

God only know what else they have stored...

But here's the strange part. I use it daily for web searches, to look at properties, to see where my friends are RIGHT NOW etc.. and it's FREE!

I mean seriously.. it's FREE. How can that be?

I'm not a conspiracy theorist.. but where could the billions of dollars for the servers, the google car drivers, etc etc be coming from?

I'm just saying....

personally, I'm not really that concerned with people knowing what I search for... it just means that products and advertising might be more accurate.

So, what's the harm and how could they use it against you? ... even if they are in cahoots with The Man.

They can make my searches available to the government all they want, so long as they don't send it to my WIFE!

I just think Google is a company that is getting too big. They could be in every part of our lives. They are working on Google Energy now, who knows what is next. I think all of their products are great. I am just now wanting to use them because they are gaining power. Maybe they they will use this technology for good means. Maybe not.

OK, so just have a quick think about Google. It is by FAR the largestinformation holding source on the planet. It was amazing when they just stored infinite web search information, but as of the last few years, they:

Have documented most of the entire planet.. I mean ALL of it, much of it with "Street View" so you can look into the windows of a house 10,000 miles away.

Can trace you to exactly where you are, via GPS (If you download and activate the software)

Can have a picture uploaded and immediately tell the sender what it is.. including picture verification. Yes, i mean a picture of YOU. Once it has been sent in.. they have it and anyone else on the planet that send a picture of you.. google knows it you.

God only know what else they have stored...

But here's the strange part. I use it daily for web searches, to look at properties, to see where my friends are RIGHT NOW etc.. and it's FREE!

I mean seriously.. it's FREE. How can that be?

I'm not a conspiracy theorist.. but where could the billions of dollars for the servers, the google car drivers, etc etc be coming from?

I'm just saying....

Because they charge outragous amounts of money for advertising.

This is a lot of elevated rhetoric and angst about the relative harm to users of this site by using the google search option on this site.

I guess the next obvious request would be to lock this site out of any search engines. :rolleyes:

If you don't want any HBT information to be tied to you IRL, then don't post personal information about yourself here.

This is a beer forum. If you are uncomfortable using the google search option in this site because presumably you'd be typing in beer search items, then really HBT is not your problem.

Really? Is it that hard to look at their SEC filings?

http://investor.google.com/documents/2009_google_annual_report.html

Not only do they make billions of dollars (revenue in 2009 was over $23 billion), they have enough left over after paying for all the servers, etc. to have over $6 billion extra cash just from last year.

The idea that Information Privacy and its loss by Google is kind of silly. For most of us homeowners, our house appraisal, taxes, and payment history is available online for free. Next is my car purchase this last year. I am that info is out there as well. (I should google my VIN!!) I am sure my cell number is out there as well, since it is my only phone connection (home and work). So, if I was so paranoid that I didn't want random people to have my info, I wouldn't have a home, car, cell phones, internet connection, electricity, gas, water, trash pickup,...

Paranoia anyone???

Don't answer that TXBrew might be counting the Yes votes :)

If I don't use Google how else am I supposed to track your online activities so I can ..... oh I've said too much.

I just used google to track a stripper I love....Shes gonna be so surprised!

Do you think she would like it if I cut off my ear and sent it to her? Or is that too much too soon?

I just used google to track a stripper I love....Shes gonna be so surprised!

Do you think she would like it if I cut off my ear and sent it to her? Or is that too much too soon?

Are you serious??? You haven't sent it to her already?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back