Elephant Poo Coffee, would you drink it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elephant Poo Coffee, would you?

• Hell ya, I'd drink it!

• WTF, NO; I'll drink my folgers till the Mayan implosion.

• If someone else picked up the 50 dollar tab, I'd drink it

• No, but I bet Cheesy and Creamy would.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Unfortunately I could easily vote for 3 of the 4 candidates ;-).

I have heard of weasel poo coffee, but never elephant. I would be excited to try it, but I doubt I'd pay $50 for a cup of it (right now at least).

Bet it would be mellow as all get out...

Lol. If I am not mistaken the beans are processed within an inch of their lives to remove the manure, any smell and any foreign particles. Probably winds up cleaner than most of the pooless coffee we drink...

I can't imagine the various coffee beans that they pull out of crap is that good.

I think the reason they get the big dollars is because it's hard to come by and yuppies like to be exclusive at any cost.

I can't stand the cheaper coffee brands out there. Most of them are too bitter for one thing and lack any good flavors, but I do usually just drink coffee that's made from grounds that come from a can in the supermarket.
I splurge once in awhile for good stuff but 50 dollars for a cup is insane.

whoaru brings up an interesting point. The cost to buy and upkeep a civet has to be less in the long run than the coffee... But then you have to dig through the poop yourself.

I have had Kopi Luwak and found it to be wonderful. Low acidity, with good body and mouth feel. Very good coffee but nit worth the $400 a pound or whatever it was.

Jester King make a great beer with it too ;)

So does a Danish(?) brewery? I got to try it once, so I guess I've had a tiny, tiny bit of poo coffee.

The way coffee is grown and processed, I'd assume the coffee you're drinking now or had this morning probably has a little poo in it.

Dammit I missed the part in the poll about if someone picked up the tab on the cost. Yeah I would then. This is nothing new, for Elephant poop is not the first one to do this, there's been poop coffees at the high end since the 80's.

For decades, there's been stories about
Kopi Luwak Coffee

An extremely rare coffee due to the fact that the beans are first processed through the intestinal track of a palm civet (Paradoxurus hermaphroditus). This raccoon like animal has a sickly-sweet odor reminiscent of a striped skunk and loves the cherry like fruit that covers the coffee bean. Yes, ingested and deposited shortly thereafter, the beans are ripe for the picking. Once thought as a pest to the crop, these critters are now welcomed friends. Coffee pickers comb the civet's droppings for the berries and remove the husk. These yummy, choice beans are thoroughly washed, in other words, decrappinated, then roasted and ready for the brew. Oh boy, an aromatic brew it would be.

And

Jacu Bird Coffee

Whereas the civet in Indonesia eats the lower quality Robusta coffee beans, the Jacu bird is a native of South America and enjoys the high quality Arabica coffee beans of Brazil. The theory is this: if the bird eats only the ripest, tastiest berries then the little piles of beans it excretes for us as a present should all be uniform, high quality, ripe beans. The farms simply collect these piles, wash the beans, and package them up for us.

In the case of the palm civet, they say that it imparts a unique earthy flavor to the passing coffee beans. However, they say the Jacu bird leaves almost no lingering flavor on the beans. Many people who have tasted this coffee say it is a very pleasing cup of a smooth, balanced Brazilian coffee. One swirled it around in his mouth, looking for the hints or subtle notes of bird excrement, and yet found nothing other than the typical, earthy Brazilian flavor. This coffee is only available by special order and so would most likely be freshly roasted to order. It's not just an ordinary crappy cup of coffee. The Kopi Luwak has sold at prices up to $300 per pound, so at around $12 per pound the Jacu bird is passing on the savings.

This is just the "flavor of the moment" and it's spreading fast by social media, but those other coffees have been talked about for decades by folks who are coffee snobs.

So the big question isn't "Would you drink it," but rather "Who started collecting these excreted coffee beans & WHY would they brew coffee with them in the 1st place?"

Ya, I'm the guy who asked "where did Edward Scissorhands get all that ice?" (It's a valid question.) :D
Regards, GF.

So the big question isn't "Would you drink it," but rather "Who started collecting these excreted coffee beans & WHY would they brew coffee with them in the 1st place?"

Ya, I'm the guy who asked "where did Edward Scissorhands get all that ice?" (It's a valid question.) :D
Regards, GF.

I still can't figure out who was the first person to eat lobster or crap, especially lobster. I love them both, but who in their right mind would have thought a giant sea cockroach with claws would ever be edible and downright tasty?

I still can't figure out who was the first person to eat lobster or crap, especially lobster. I love them both, but who in their right mind would have thought a giant sea cockroach with claws would ever be edible and downright tasty?

tee hee, you said "crap".

I'll take this one step further. What sick bugger thought to milk a cow the first time?

I'll take this one step further. What sick bugger thought to milk a cow the first time?

Oh god...I type too slow for my brain sometimes...I meant crab of course....;)

But yeah, all those food firsts fascinate me. Does anyone know if there's a book about the history of eating or drinking things for the first time.

I think both uni and escargot are good candidates for "what made them think to eat that!?"

I definitely get my sense of culinary adventure from the Sicilian portion of my blood. Think about it, food literally everwhere and people still gave squid, snails, urchins and eels a go.

Some starving caveman, walking along the beach probably found one on the beach one day & he said to himself: "Ya know, I'm gonna eat that." :D
Regards, GF.

I'm GLAD he did. Deserves a medal IMO. :rockin: We're eating them for dinner tonight. :ban:

That's just wrong... Then again, there were some really sick f'ers back then. :D

Some starving caveman, walking along the beach probably found one on the beach one day & he said to himself: "Ya know, I'm gonna eat that." :D
Regards, GF.

Good man... :D

you overcautious prude you :p

Yeah, right... There's probably great food you won't touch. :D

Regards, GF.

I think you're close to it, but I bet the caveman saw a seagull or other bird pulling the white "meat" out of the cracked shell and eating it, and decided to try it for himself.

Yeah, right... There's probably great food you won't touch. :D

While you're probably technically right, if I don't eat I couldn't possibly in clear conscience call it great :D

In truth though, I do expect elephant poo coffee to be insipid and not even remotely worth the asking price.

Back