Elements always at 100% power???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baer19d

Reaction score
Everything worked fine for a couple years and all of a sudden my elements are always at 100% power output even though the PIDs are telling the elements to turn off, i.e., the out1 light blinks when it's close to temp and turns off when the temp is reached. It's doing this with two PIDs and recently I replaced both SSRs because they both showed signed of heat damage (melting). I wired them the same way as the old ones. Is it possible the new SSRs are not working? How can I test them? One of the replacement SSRs has an indicator light on it and it bliks with the PID out1 light but still 100% power output.

I may have answered my own question. When I disconnect the input wires to the SSRs the SSRs are still energized. When I recently replaced the SSRs it was with two that I had lying around. Maybe they were both bad which is why they were not used.

I may have answered my own question. When I disconnect the input wires to the SSRs the SSRs are still energized. When I recently replaced the SSRs it was with two that I had lying around. Maybe they were both bad which is why they were not used.

Were they Foteks? Chances are strong the ssrs are the issue then.

Now would be the perfect time to throw all four of them away.
Life is complicated enough without having bad or suspect parts laying around to add to the confusion.
Do yourself a favor a buy a quality brand like Crydom or Opto-22 SSRs. Even the used ones are better than a lot of the crap out there.

Mine were blinking in sync with the PID and it didn't matter. Full power or no power regardless of power level on the pid

Crydom SSRs are quite a bit more expensive. The plans for the control panel I built called for 60A SSRs but it's only a 30A panel. Do I really need 60A SSRs?

I can say almost certainly its the SSR's. Been down that road...Bought 8 cheap ones...all duds. Bought a Crydom and it solved my problems.

I would jump on this...don't always come up for this price new

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-In-Box...284518?hash=item48a3889ca6:g:bVUAAOSwX-pZuX6s

That one requires a 90-280 volt input on the control side. Not really useful with the typical low DC voltage PIDs that most SSRs are used with.

This one would be suitable up to 25 amps load https://www.ebay.com/itm/OPTO-22-12...120981&hash=item4d653cf0bc:g:sEcAAOSwMmlZ4BN3

mager brand as well as the mager brand ones rebranded and sold as auberins, ebrew and berme brand ssrs are very good quality, Ive yet to see a report of one failing here yet and they start out at $10 an ssr.... just like this one.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mager-SSR-...155293?hash=item1ebcf4715d:g:u88AAOSwiONYPnqL

Ive always been lucky even the old fotek and mypin (same thing) ssrs as well as the cheaper no name dual ssr (this one below)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-Solid...510015&hash=item43c251ed00:g:3oEAAOxyzi9SkHCw

have always worked fine for me with cheap $3 heatsinks and a pc fan blowing accross it.. Ive only been brewing with electric for 4 years or so though.
I see many many reports of failures with the generic white ssrs though (fotek clones and like)

I've never had a Fotek fail, but they don't work with 3v supplied by raspberry Pi boards. Auber models work fine that low.

Had Foteks in a circuit until it failed at a critical time and then replaced them with Opto22s. While its apparent that the Foteks are very easy to construct and counterfeit, one look at the Opto units will tell you that they have much more substantial construction and would be much more complicated to counterfeit. You may never know if a Fotek is real, but I'm pretty sure that an Opto unit will be.

Like new Crydom SSRs, new Opto-22 SSRs command top dollar.

I have been buying both brands used off of ebay for my brewing and meat smoker projects.

Prices for quality brand used SSRs are much more reasonable and I have had no issues or failures over the last 12 years or so.

OPTO 22 Model 240D45 is the model for 240 volt applications up to 45 amps using a DC control signal from 3-32 volts

Does anybody know who the manufacturer is of the "ElectricBrewSupply" SSRs is? I think I may have a similar problem as the OP and wanted to know if the were rebranded Fotecks.

Does anybody know who the manufacturer is of the "ElectricBrewSupply" SSRs is? I think I may have a similar problem as the OP and wanted to know if the were rebranded Fotecks.

You could contact them and see if they would share that information.

In the Electric Brewery build manual, the illustrations show LDG RS1A40D40 40A SSRs.

ldg ssr.jpg

I have had an ebrewsupply SSR fail on.

It amazes me how many people have been by Foteks and yet they get bought by members of this forum. The Fotek brand (real or not, as you will never really know) should be avoided completely. We know for certain that many of these have completely undersized components inside. Would you drive your 4000 lb car over a bridge that said “Rated for 2000 lbs”? If not, you wouldn’t use a Fotek either.

SSRs failing shorted seem to be an all to common complaint for brewing panels. Using inferior components, no matter how good of a deal they may seem to be, is false economy.
Considering the cost of failure during a brewing session, I can't understand why anyone would knowingly build or repair a panel with one of these weak links?
If I was buying an assembled panel, I think I would be asking questions about SSRs prior to purchasing.

If your talking about Ebrew supply? The older white ones he sold were fotek clones. He later switched to the mager ones he has rebranded..
I was looking yesterday and it's amazing how many rebranded ones are made by Mager. There's literally a dozen or more different brands including Kodak and MGR as well as non-branded ones where the sellers just block out the brand name.

If your talking about Ebrew supply? The older white ones he sold were fotek clones. He later switched to the mager ones he has rebranded..
I was looking yesterday and it's amazing how many rebranded ones are made by Mager. There's literally a dozen different brands including Kodak and MGR as well as non-branded ones where the sellers just block out the brand name.

How are you determining the manufacturer of the rebranded units?
Are there still some markings of the OEM?

It amazes me how many people have been by Foteks and yet they get bought by members of this forum. The Fotek brand (real or not, as you will never really know) should be avoided completely. We know for certain that many of these have completely undersized components inside. Would you drive your 4000 lb car over a bridge that said “Rated for 2000 lbs”? If not, you wouldn’t use a Fotek either.
Was it the older white ones they sold? if so those are the fotek clones just with a different brand sticker on them (and higher price) at least he's good with replacing the stuff when it fails.. Those fake foteks cost as little as half a cent on Alibaba if you buy them bulk... no wonder so many other distributors like mypin and inkbird sell them too. I did get a laugh out of the fact that inkbird doesn't use inkbird SSR in their new pre-built PID boxes but instead use the mager brand ones.

How are you determining the manufacturer of the rebranded units?
Are there still some markings of the OEM?
Yes by comparing a few of the ones I have as well as the videos and blogs that compare some of them. there are markings on the metal baker plate as well as differences in things like the stickers

With the mager ones they all have the same two sticker layouts as well as a shared model number, cover, led placement and sticker on the side.. It is possible these are made by different manufacturers too but I've yet to see anyone here actually claim one has failed without finding out they miswired them.

also I participated in thread here a while back (couple years ago) about failed ssrs and ebrew disclosed that he bought hei and had them branded from a chines manufaturer and not all Chinese clone manufacturers were the same. He would not disclose where he got them but Ive seen many people complain of failures with them (some in that thread) Shortly after he switched to the mager ones.. The other good indicator that they are fake is when they say made in Taiwan on them but ship from a chinese seller like my foteks did.

here is one of the many people selling them on alibaba.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...60460906970.html?spm=a2700.7724838.0.0.pfSuIa

On a related note I'm also fairly sure but not 100% That this is the manufacturer that makes the heating elements ebrew sells.. I have bought 2 tc based elements from this company and these prices ARE real.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...l?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.21.4d14482cRwMRi9

In the Electric Brewery build manual, the illustrations show LDG RS1A40D40 40A SSRs.

Woops. I was thinking you guys were talking about The Electric Brewery (aka, Kal). I now see you were talking about something else. That SSR picture I posted above has nothing to do with the current discussion. Derp!

It was indeed white. Which means all four are cheap crap. My decent heatsink probably lets them get by. What color are the current ones?

These are the current ones (im fairly certain they are made by mager) ebrews prices are reasonable on these IMO

https://ebrewsupply.com/collections/ssr-spdt-and-contactors/products/40a-solid-state-relay-ssr-v2

There the same as these and many others..
https://www.ebay.com/itm/20DA-SSR-C...d=332410974396&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

https://www.ebay.com/p/24-480v-AC-D...d=261976693232&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

I think that is generally how they fail, which is unfortunate.

I had a string of failed Foteks until I started crimping ring terminals on my 10 gauge THHN wire. That seemed to provide lower resistance and lower heat.

Chris

Well, I ended up ordering two Foteks before I waited on the replies to this post, silly me. Anyway, I figured they would fill the gap until I found some better ones on ebay. I received them on Friday, hooked them up, ran a test, and everything worked fine. I'm brewing today and wouldn't you know it, an hour into it and one of them quit working. Luckily I'm still able to brew but it looks like I need to hurry up and fine better ones.

I'll give that a try. Maybe I can squeeze a little life out of the one that's still working.
I think that is generally how they fail, which is unfortunate.

I had a string of failed Foteks until I started crimping ring terminals on my 10 gauge THHN wire. That seemed to provide lower resistance and lower heat.

Chris

Well, I ended up ordering two Foteks before I waited on the replies to this post, silly me. Anyway, I figured they would fill the gap until I found some better ones on ebay. I received them on Friday, hooked them up, ran a test, and everything worked fine. I'm brewing today and wouldn't you know it, an hour into it and one of them quit working. Luckily I'm still able to brew but it looks like I need to hurry up and fine better ones.
I thought I put up an Ebay link earlier for a Crydom. After endless SSR fails its the only one that hasn't let me down

So far I've been using SSRs that are rated for 24-380VAC output since it's a 240V panel but since only one leg of the 240v (120V) runs to the SSR could I use SSR's rated for 120V output? if so that would make sourcing good ones easier.

So far I've been using SSRs that are rated for 24-380VAC output since it's a 240V panel but since only one leg of the 240v (120V) runs to the SSR could I use SSR's rated for 120V output? if so that would make sourcing good ones easier.

So, I'm hearing you say that one leg (i.e., L1) goes to the SSR. If that circuit, after the SSR, ultimately returns to L2, then you need 240VAC. If that leg returns to the neutral, 120VAC is fine. When I say returns, I mean after your heating element.

Then I need 240V. L1 goes to the SSR and L2 goes to a coil relay.
They both go to the element.
So, I'm hearing you say that one leg (i.e., L1) goes to the SSR. If that circuit, after the SSR, ultimately returns to L2, then you need 240VAC. If that leg returns to the neutral, 120VAC is fine. When I say returns, I mean after your heating element.

I'm looking at Crydom SSRs on Zoro and the have some that are reasonably priced. What kind of switch does it need to be?

I'm looking at Crydom SSRs on Zoro and the have some that are reasonably priced. What kind of switch does it need to be?

Output should be rated for 40A at 480V AC. This is a very commonly available size. 25A at 250V AC theoretically will work, but your service life is more likely to be limited, since you would be running close to the max rating. Using over rated components is a common design practice, known as derating the components. The control inputs should be spec'ed as 3 - 32V DC.

Brew on :mug:

Latest posts

Back