Elementary my dear Watson

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danbcha

Reaction score
I used 2 lbs of dextrose in a cider batch and will get about 6.5% ABV. If I did 2.5 lbs, would that give me a higher ABV? Have a request for a batch but the guy wants a 7.5-8%. Not sure how to get it there.

The main reason you added the 2 lbs of dextrose in your batch was to increase the ABV. Adding more sugar will increase it some more....to a point and then the yeast will drown in their own excrement (alcohol). You'd probably be in the 10% ABV for that to happen.

If you want to bump up the ABV in a cider I'd recommend using some good apple juice concentrate, along with the extra sugar. Make sure that the concentrate doesn't have anything added to it that might inhibit yeast, like sorbate.

Pay attention to what alcohol tolerance the yeast has. I've heard of people using dry yeast packets intended for wine (*should* easily go up to 11% abv) or Nottingham ale yeast (you *might* have trouble getting past 9% abv if you don't oxygenate), but there are yeasts out there intended specifically for cider.

Back