Element Wire Connection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TechyDork

Dork of all Tech
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What is everyone using to connect their wire to their camco elements? I have 10 AWG stranded wire for my power cable and the connectors that came with the kit from The Electric Brewery will not fit on the screws for the element.

I tried to just wrap the wire around the screw and the tighten them down, but I am not very happy with the results. Only 75% of the wire is contacting the screw.

Is there a better crimp on fitting to use for this?

I am using two of the Camco 5500W Wavy elements.

element.jpg

I wasn't aware there was a thinner type ring terminal. The ones that I tried have too large of an outside diameter to the ring to fit on the element terminal. I will see if the local hardware store has the smaller diameter ring terminals.

thanks!

Is that one of my enclosures? If so, there should have been a small baggy with crimp terminals.

I ordered two of them and only had one bag of crimp terminals. I used them for the grounding posts. I will swing by the hardware store tonight and grab some crimp terminals and give them a go.

What is everyone using to connect their wire to their camco elements? I have 10 AWG stranded wire for my power cable and the connectors that came with the kit from The Electric Brewery will not fit on the screws for the element.
I'm confused - you mention a kit from The Electric Brewery but then show Bobby's enclosures.

Our TheElectricBrewery.com element kits come with the 3 terminals you need. If you didn't get them please email us at [email protected] and we'll get replacements out to you ASAP. Sorry about that.

You need to use the correct sized terminals too. Do not simply wrap threaded wire under the screw - it will not hold correctly and the poor connection will likely lead to overheating/issues.

Good luck!

Kal

I'm confused - you mention a kit from The Electric Brewery but then show Bobby's enclosures.

Our TheElectricBrewery.com element kits come with the 3 terminals you need. If you didn't get them please email us at [email protected] and we'll get replacements out to you ASAP. Sorry about that.

You need to use the correct sized terminals too. Do not simply wrap threaded wire under the screw - it will not hold correctly and the poor connection will likely lead to overheating/issues.

Good luck!

Kal

Kal,

I was referring to the panel wiring kit with terminals that I ordered from your site. The terminals in that kit do not fit the element screws. The element kit is from Bobby's site.

If we shorted you a bag of terminals, I'd be glad to send them. Email me cuz I don't know who you are.

Bobby,

I will double check that we are missing those terminals and email you if we are.

Thank you both for the excellent customer service!

Kal,

I was referring to the panel wiring kit with terminals that I ordered from your site. The terminals in that kit do not fit the element screws.
Ah! Our control panel wiring kit does not include anything to wire to the heating elements. It only includes parts for the control panel as listed on the order page.

Kal

Ah! Our control panel wiring kit does not include anything to wire to the heating elements. It only includes parts for the control panel as listed on the order page.

Kal

I had wrongfully assumed that the same terminals used inside the panel would fit the element as well. It was my error and not in any way the fault of your company.

I still need to check and see if I have the terminals that were shipped with My enclosures.

Update...

I found the proper terminals and wired up the elements last night. Filled the HLT with 45f water and had it up to 80f pretty quickly, tested the BK and took it from 80f to 120f much quicker than i had anticipated.

thanks to you all for the help!

Latest posts

Back