Element touching ferule inside

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birzzz

Reaction score
Hi,

Might be a stupid question, but I was wondering if it matters or not that the element touches the inside of the ferule or not? Just want to make sure before I have it soldered to the kettle. Here are some pics of it:
PXL_20210902_140201731.jpg

PXL_20210902_140148206.jpg

PXL_20210902_140107968.jpg

Cheers,

Touching the ferrule means it will transfer heat to it when live. While that might not be a huge impact, it would be a concern to me.

None of the elements I have loop back that far. Plus, mine are all stainless steel elements, which (in the picture at least) that doesn't appear to be. For me, I want the element to have stainless where it comes in contact with the wort.

Looking at your pix, I wonder how you got the element inside the ferrule. And once the ferrule is welded/soldered into your kettle wall, would you still be able to insert the element?

Once it's inside the kettle, we usually spread the element open a bit to reduce localized (over) heating.

You can shorten that ferrule quite a bit, or get a shorter one, so the end of the element won't be trapped. That will also allow you to open it up.

+1 on using stainless elements, although I've never had any problems with my black ones.

From what I see in the picture of the ferrule and element, I don't know if there's a ferrule short enough to NOT touch it once in place. Also, doing more than a minor amount of tweaking to the element isn't advisable due to what's usually inside them. They have a certain amount of flex, which means you can squeeze them to get inserted through ferrules without damage.

BTW, this is the element in both my BK and HLT.
Element_1024x1024.jpg

Notice how far from the TC connection the folded back/ripple section ends?

fwiw, I've got this situation in my Spike kettle. It's not ideal but doesn't cause trouble. A shorter ferrule and/or better element geometry would be good. @birzzz's element is probably stainless even though not shiny.

fwiw, I've got this situation in my Spike kettle. It's not ideal but doesn't cause trouble. A shorter ferrule and/or better element geometry would be good. @birzzz's element is probably stainless even though not shiny.
I have all Spike+ kettles and bought the element they offer (picture above). Which means no touching between the ferrule and element once installed.

Back