Element threads ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kokonutz

Reaction score
Hi folks. I have a Camco 02955 heating element. This is my second element with a hot pod enclosure. I can’t seem to thread the enclosure collar to this element. I sticks after the first turn and can not descend to the end where the gasket fits. I can however thread this 1 inch nut (in the image to the right) just fine. Given that I concluded that perhaps the collar had a bad thread so I tried interchanging my other heating element with the hot pod collar . I had no problem. If the collar fits my other element I am concluding that the threading is off on this Camco. I think I’m way past warranty on this for a return. Is there anyway I can fix the thread or is there a particular kind of shop that would specialize in something like this. Finding an all stainless steel heating element that will not rust is not easy where I live. So before I get links to Amazon etc. I’m trying to fix this locally

thanks for any help that can be offered. And happy Mother’s Day to any of our brewers to fall in that category!

CAAF540B-66B7-42DE-B07A-D59967355DBB.jpeg

Probably not what you want to hear, but you can buy a new element for what you'd pay in tooling to touch up the threads. 1" NPS threading dies on Amazon are in the $30 to $60 range. Locally, you'll probably pay more, if you can find one.
The Camco 02964 element, 5500 watt with stainless base, is $32 on Amazon.
If you know a plumber or other mechanical contractor, they might do it for free. You may also be able to rent the tooling from a local hardware store.

First I'd like you not to call that enclosure a Hot Pod. That's a Brewhardware.com product name and that's not what you have. I know that particular enclosure and the manufacturer had no idea how to make it compatible with American made elements which have 1" NPS thread. They should be machining the female threads to NPSL to make it a loose fit but they also used 1" NPS and the slip in tolerance made it incompatible. My guess is that your other element is Chinese so they just make the male threads a little undersized to work.

Back