Element size for 200L boil kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

u02scn

Reaction score
Hi all,

Considering upgrading my brew set up from a 50L to a 200L boil kettle. Was wondering if anyone had any advice on the size of element i would need in the boil kettle. I was thinking 12kW from 4 x 3kW immersion heater elements. Currently i have 5kW for my 50L boil kettle and this works very well.

I am on a UK 240v single phase supply. Has anyone any experience going above 12kW? I was a bit worried i might be stating to push the limits of the house supply. The main fuse coming in is 60A. I thought 12kW being the same as a powerful electric shower should be ok.

All the wiring will be put in by a qualified electrician so no worries there.

Regards

Steve

I use 3x 3.2kW submersive elements in a 200L kettle. It's a very rigorous boil, and I can stay rolling with only two of the elements once I have the boil.

This is with a well insulated tun and a somewhat isolated lid, with a 20cm exhaust fan in the lid.

I plan on testing just how much I can boil and still get 5%+ boiloff, but not for another couple of weeks.

Thanks for your reply. How long do the 3 elements take to get to a rolling boil after sparging?

Back