Element question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaleyBrew

Reaction score
Hey Folks

I've got a relatively dumb question here. I just picked up a ulwd heating element and nut for my brew kettle. I'm assuming that I got the right size nut but I can't get the folded portion through the nut. Should I get a larger nut? Try to bend the element?

Well I'm putting the element in the kettle so the nut has to be on the inside too. The tip of the element won't fit through the nut so I can't get the nut down to the treaded part.

Which element, specifically?

Which nut are you trying, specifically?

Most elements you will find use a 1 inch nut.

You probably have to thread it around the element only, not the foldback?

Start with the smaller element bend through the nut, and then winding your way back around the foldback. It may be necessary to bend the element slightly for the nut to fit between the fold initially.

I tried bending it but This thing is pretty solid. The tip of the element is folded over so much and too close to the bottom half of the element (or the nut is too thick) that I can't even get nut between them to wiggle it on.

Maybe I should try heating the element in some hot water before trying to bend it?

You don't need to bend an element it should goes through nut easily.

foldingelement.jpg

I managed to get it on. I took a pair of pliers and pinched the top (at the fold) together a bit while I slid the nut on. Didn't need to bend it. Once I got it over that first bit it went right down.

Thanks for the help guys!!

Latest posts

Back