Electronic Cigarettes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildGingerBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone tried these? I really need to quit smoking. I'm 40 and have been smoking for over 25 years. Had a scare last week that made re-evaluate the care I tke of myself. So, I thought I would pick these up to help ween me from smokes. I gotta say it doesn't taste half bad and it has curbed my craving for a real smoke. Plus I can "smoke" it in the house or my office (neither of which is allowed with real cigs). Just curtious what everyone thought.

Hi Wild. I don't smoke, so am not speaking from personal experience, but have friends who use these and think they are great. While it doesn't help with the addiction to nicotine, it doesn't have the smoke and carcinogens and all the health problems associated with them

I looked at them before they became more widely available but have yet to actually try one. As with most anything, their is a whole culture that caters to sipping and vaping and a complete vocabulary to boot.

there have been a couple threads on this, one I think I even started. I am sure they are buried now. Instead of e-cig I explored Swedish Snus and became a convert. Of course, this was well before the passing of Obama's Tobacco Act and it was MUCH cheaper to import and made sense as an alternative. Now, shipping and taxation can be prohibitive but there are a few domestic products worth a try.

I remember seeing a thing a while back about places trying to ban them. Either on a State or Federal level. Claim was based on endangering the population because it still provides nicotine. BS if you ask me. If you need your nicotine, at least this way you're not harming anyone else and I say kudos. They of course never mentioned banning cigarettes. They're apparently not harmful :rolleyes:.

There actually are some toxins in the e-cigs. Like you guys, I have some friends who have used them to successfully quit cigarettes. I'm actually a coordinator for a tobacco cessation program. I can't advocate for the use of the e-cigs because they are not FDA approved, and are currently manufactured over seas and apparently have no regulatory measures to make sure they're safe.

My main concern with these are that, after decades of work getting smoking out of the public eye, these would normalize the behavior and make smoking look "okay" to children.

Other than that, the health effects are dramatically reduced from cigarettes.

Thanks guys. I had tried them once before a couple of years ago ,when a friend was using them. I am certainly not part of the "vaping" culture and think hookah is just nasty! But if can help me reduce my craving, if only by reducing the intake over a period of time, then I guess it can't be all bad.

One "filter" is equivalent to 1 pack of cigs. I have been using the same filter for 2 days now. Don't know how long it will last, but cigs here in Dallas are almost $7 a pack. So I'll try this for awhile!

for me, they wouldn't seem to help with the weening, because all you're eliminating from smoking are the parts you don't like anyway, and you're keeping the parts you do like/rely on. you lose the nasty smelling clothes, the having to step out, the breath, teeth stains, and i hear cost (never priced them out myself). but you keep the nicotine, the flavor, and the physical act of smoking a cigarette, which is very habit-forming.

i'm one year clean right now, and i used the losenge, but much less than the package recommended. as with everything, to each his or her own.
be thankful for you $7 packs in dallas, if you are still smoking. my roomate smokes, and they're over $8.50 here.

Thought of quitting? I used that new Chantix drug and honestly just quit and it was pretty painless and didn't take much effort on my part. Only bad side effect was had some wacky dreams on the Chantix but nothing more then waking up sayin "Wow that was messed up"

Maybe talk to your doctor and give it a try. My health insurance paid for it minus the 25 dollar co-pay. Smoke free for a year and a half now.

Just throwing that out there.

I think the initial investment in e-cigs is somewhere around $120.

I got wacky dreams when I quit too. I fell asleep with the patch on. Wasn't really a nightmare, just a really crisp, vivid dream. Strange.

Similar to alcohol, nicotine actually has some health benefits. Similar to many things (including water), in excess it can kill you. Sometimes the difference between a medicine and a poison is merely the dosage. It's the paper and extra chemicals that makes cigarettes so bad. Good cigars are all tobacco.;)

I started using the e-cig aver a year ago. For the most part, I like it; I have not bought real cigarettes since then. I still occasionally smoke other peoples (especially when brewing).
It only costs about 50-60 dollars to get started, and this will last longer than a carton of smokes. Overall, it is less expensive that cigarettes, I can "smoke" anywhere I want, and even though it is not healthy, it is a LOT healthier than cigarettes. I recommend you give it a try; what do you have to loose.

I've heard too many horror stories about Chantix. Not long ago a musician here in Dallas, former guitar player for Eddy Brickell and the New Bohemians, was shot and killed while in Chantix. Freaked out, tried to break into someones house, etc.. Pretty crazy deal.

The e-cig that I have is called PureSmoke. It was $54 for the starter kit. The refills are $30 and come with the equivilent of 1 carton, so still cheaper than smoking. The refills come in varying strengths, so the plan is too slowly reduce the strength of what I am puffing on to the point where the only addiction is the actual action of smoking, not the nicotine. I can chew on a pencil or something to replace that!

Be careful with that approach. Testing on e-cigs have shown that, because there are no regulatory measures, the amount of nicotine in the cartridges is not moderated. So a cartridge might say it has no nicotine, when in reality its just as much as the "high nicotine" cartridge.

I'm not saying you shouldn't try your plan. Just be cautious.

Three years clean for me on April 3. I didn't use any crutches to bust the habit of 25 years, I made up my mind and did it. I personally cant see any logic in substituting an electronic version full of chemicals for the real version full of chemicals. Its not a matter of 'its the lessor of two evils', they both suck. Its a real b@tch to quit but it can be done. Good luck but I think your fooling yourself if your thinking this is better then keeping on the real ones, your just justifying your habit. You cant use price as a crutch either. Its a short matter of time when the FDA jumps on-board and says 'no way' and bans these things. They are drug administering devices, plain and simple. With tobacco, the nicotine is there naturally, with these, somebody has to measure and package it.

Good luck, it only sucks for a couple of days.

I quit smoking cigarettes with the use of e-cigs around 3 years ago.

I couldn't endorse them more. After only about 6 months or so, I really didn't need the e-cigs, either. It's all about your intentions and how you use them. Some people strictly want to replace their cigarettes with e-cigs, not quitting, and that's fine. Others use it as smoking cessation, like me, and have had pretty incredible results.

One issue that goes into the propaganda war with e-cig manufacturers and the FDA has to do with how they are marketed. It's also not totally clear how much the FDA receives in funding from the pharmaceutical companies that produce other "safer" smoking cessation products. Lots of disinformation has been going on around electronic cigarettes for years that most likely had root in campaigns to hold onto profit margins, not in what was best for customers.

There are a few great companies that manufacture the devices and the liquid in the US, and they're worth the look.

PureSmoker is a terrific company to check out if you're looking into it. They're based in Memphis, I believe, and have a great product, especially if you're looking into higher-powered devices. The higher the voltage and heating, the more natural the mouthfeel and "chest hit".

Similar to alcohol, nicotine actually has some health benefits. Similar to many things (including water), in excess it can kill you. Sometimes the difference between a medicine and a poison is merely the dosage. It's the paper and extra chemicals that makes cigarettes so bad. Good cigars are all tobacco.;)

the tobacco itself is bad for you. the paper and chemicals are even worse, but even nicotene by itself is carcinogenic. it does have some health benefits, but nothing near the downsides.

Hi!

Contrary to opinions, the only toxic compound in e-cigs is the nicotine itself. Nicotine is toxic, but has never been shown to be carcinogenic, or a mutagen by itself.

Regarding the FDA, and regulatory stuff, well.. the FDA can go stick it where the sun don't shine, IMO (I was an engineer at a pharmaceutical manufacturer for 4 years)

Nicotine is well quantified, and precisely at stated strengths for every one of the US made e-liquids i've tested.

I make e-juice for friends, family, and myself. The ingredients are: food flavorings (LorAnn, Flavourarts, Fairies Finest.. feel free to google) Propylene Glycol (another food ingredient, mostly found in prepared baked goods, and recognized as safe by the FDA) Vegetable glycerin (again, a widely used and safe for consumption product), and nicotine.

All the PG and VG I use is USP, the Nicotine I use is US sourced, and incredibly pure, and all the flavorings are foodservice flavorings.

Since the vapor produced by an e-cig is fog, not smoke (it doesnt get hot enough) re-condensing vapor from an e-cig you end up with the same liquid you had to start with (but more oxidized, due to the heat and atomization)

Any e-cig supplier worth their salt (and myself included) will not recommend vaping as a smoking cessation tool. You're still putting nicotine into your body..

However, many vapers (including myself) found smoking a cigarette just isnt nearly as enjoyable as vaping. Its been just over a year since I've had a cigarette. I can taste better, I can breathe better, my clothes and car dont smell like smoke, and I don't have to go outside in the cold to smoke anymore.

Vaping is a safe, and novel way to enjoy nicotine, without second-hand (or first hand, for that matter) smoke.

Unfortunately theres a lot more FUD out there than real facts. Most is based on myth, and lack of understanding.

-Jason

Thought of quitting? I used that new Chantix drug and honestly just quit and it was pretty painless and didn't take much effort on my part. Only bad side effect was had some wacky dreams on the Chantix but nothing more then waking up sayin "Wow that was messed up"

Maybe talk to your doctor and give it a try. My health insurance paid for it minus the 25 dollar co-pay. Smoke free for a year and a half now.

Just throwing that out there.

Yep. Chantix worked great for me, too. I never had the dreams though, but I've heard from friends that they are pretty wild.

I've also used the e-cig, until someone stole mine when I had a party. Meh. It's not as good as smoking a cigarette, bars won't let you smoke them inside, and long-term effects are unknown.

I'll still have a cigarette every week or two. It's just a matter of willpower. It's been nearly 2 years and I still haven't slid back into smoking.

I say if it helps you quit smoking for real... go for it... WHATEVER you do, has to be better than smoking... You could move to California. :)

I'm doing this quitting thing too. Tomorrow is day one. I've failed in the past after some pretty successful beginnings using all kinds of different things. E-cigs, patches, gum, prescriptions, even chew (shut up I was 18 and my roomates and I rationalized it somehow). The e-cigs definitely help with the physical action of smoking which I'm still convinced has to be one of the most addicting parts. My willpower has been the only thing that has failed my past attempts. I'd have a good couple weeks where I wouldn't smoke and I'd have a few beers and then pick up a pack of cigs... game over. But hopefully I'll have better luck this time.

I've got my patch on and I'm pumped for the nicotine night terrors! First time I used the patch I was playing lots of "Left 4 Dead" (zombie first person shooter computer game) and had EPIC zombie Apocalypse dreams.

Enough rambling. Good luck to you. My best piece of advice is if you for some reason cave and buy a pack while you're out drinking with your buddies or something make sure the pack doesn't come home with you. Give it to a friend, throw it in the trash, give it to a bum... Its impossible to resist a cigarette when there's 12 of 'em sitting on the counter.

Three years clean for me on April 3. I didn't use any crutches to bust the habit of 25 years, I made up my mind and did it. I personally cant see any logic in substituting an electronic version full of chemicals for the real version full of chemicals. Its not a matter of 'its the lessor of two evils', they both suck. Its a real b@tch to quit but it can be done. Good luck but I think your fooling yourself if your thinking this is better then keeping on the real ones, your just justifying your habit. You cant use price as a crutch either. Its a short matter of time when the FDA jumps on-board and says 'no way' and bans these things. They are drug administering devices, plain and simple. With tobacco, the nicotine is there naturally, with these, somebody has to measure and package it.

Good luck, it only sucks for a couple of days.

COngratulations on your successful quit. Many people are able to quit by going cold turkey. However, that discomfort isn't totally necessary when there are aids that can make it less uncomfortable such as the patch, gum, and chantix. Using these types of devices raises your chances of success upwards of 20%. Adding a cessation program, doubles even that chance.

But you didn't just successfully quit a habit. You successfully quit an addiction. Nicotine dependence is a real addiction which is very hard to kick for many.

There are a few great companies that manufacture the devices and the liquid in the US, and they're worth the look.

PureSmoker is a terrific company to check out if you're looking into it. They're based in Memphis, I believe, and have a great product, especially if you're looking into higher-powered devices. The higher the voltage and heating, the more natural the mouthfeel and "chest hit".

Thanks for the info. I'll look into that.

I was at the gym last night, and an e-cig ad came on the tv where they had people actively vaping. I couldn't tell the difference on the screen between people vaping and people smoking. Great, it's a safer alternative. However, it's harmful to broadcast that imagery.

Hi!

Contrary to opinions, the only toxic compound in e-cigs is the nicotine itself. Nicotine is toxic, but has never been shown to be carcinogenic, or a mutagen by itself.

Regarding the FDA, and regulatory stuff, well.. the FDA can go stick it where the sun don't shine, IMO (I was an engineer at a pharmaceutical manufacturer for 4 years)

Nicotine is well quantified, and precisely at stated strengths for every one of the US made e-liquids i've tested.

I make e-juice for friends, family, and myself. The ingredients are: food flavorings (LorAnn, Flavourarts, Fairies Finest.. feel free to google) Propylene Glycol (another food ingredient, mostly found in prepared baked goods, and recognized as safe by the FDA) Vegetable glycerin (again, a widely used and safe for consumption product), and nicotine.

All the PG and VG I use is USP, the Nicotine I use is US sourced, and incredibly pure, and all the flavorings are foodservice flavorings.

Since the vapor produced by an e-cig is fog, not smoke (it doesnt get hot enough) re-condensing vapor from an e-cig you end up with the same liquid you had to start with (but more oxidized, due to the heat and atomization)

Any e-cig supplier worth their salt (and myself included) will not recommend vaping as a smoking cessation tool. You're still putting nicotine into your body..

However, many vapers (including myself) found smoking a cigarette just isnt nearly as enjoyable as vaping. Its been just over a year since I've had a cigarette. I can taste better, I can breathe better, my clothes and car dont smell like smoke, and I don't have to go outside in the cold to smoke anymore.

Vaping is a safe, and novel way to enjoy nicotine, without second-hand (or first hand, for that matter) smoke.

Unfortunately theres a lot more FUD out there than real facts. Most is based on myth, and lack of understanding.

-Jason

Thanks Jason. I'm not opposed to e-cigs. It just irks me with all of the mixed messages that are being sent out in the advertising. I shouldn't be, considering the decades of big tobacco mis-marketing that we've endured.

I've got my patch on and I'm pumped for the nicotine night terrors! First time I used the patch I was playing lots of "Left 4 Dead" (zombie first person shooter computer game) and had EPIC zombie Apocalypse dreams.

That's awesome. I wish I had planned something like that out. I had one of those vivid dreams, and mine was so mundane.

I'm really happy with the responses to my original post. I agree with a lot of things that have been said. Anything that helps quit smoking is good. I have "quit" numerous times, 3 years once, but something always made me go back, usually drinking. I figure if the e-cig is helping me "think" I'm breaking the addiction, then good for it. It also is a cheaper alternative. The test will be this weekend, while bottling, brewing and drinking. I have not had a cig since Sunday and have only gone through one full cartridge on the e-cig. That's three full days on the equivalent of 1 pack. The starter kit I bought, Pure Smoke, came with the charger, atomizer, battery and 4 cartridges, 2 heavy and 2 mild. I started with the heavy and then will smoke the milds. The plan is to buy another pack of milds then work down to low to eventually nothing. I truly believe it is the action of smoking more than the actual cig. I have noticed this week that I just want to go outside and sit on the porch and smoke. The e-cig curbs the nicotine craving, but I still find myself wanting to be outside on the porch. It will be hard, but I've had some health issues reccently and a diet and quitting smoking are something I have to do. If I can trick myself into quitting with an e-cig then so-be-it! Thanks for all of responses and words of encouragement! :mug:

For everyone starting to use the e-cigs, don't be surprised if you end up using it a lot. I mean, compulsively using it.

With a ton of new users, it's almost like a pacifier. lol

I wanted to give a link to Puresmoker, because out of all of the companies I dealt with, they were always the best in terms of customer service.
http://www.puresmoker.com/

Don't be discouraged about the slightly elevated cost for their higher-voltage lines. With these things, you really get what you pay for. Among most users, you don't get the cost benefit that many of the mainstream companies try to sell you on. It's not cheaper than smoking by a long shot, for most, but what is it worth to you to get the extra support toward moving away from "analog" cigarettes?

It's been about 3 years since I used an e-cig, and it seems companies like Puresmoker have really come a long way towards promoting and distributing American-made products, which has been one of the biggest gripes about this industry.

but even nicotene by itself is carcinogenic.

Nicotine is not a carcinogen. There is some miniscule evidence that it may create a physiological environment that could be more conducive to producing cancer cells, but it is not a carcinogen by itself.

Regarding the E-Cigs, one thing I've heard is that some (or many?) users experience a chronic dry throat from the propylene glycol. The other potential problem is that I don't believe there are any studies done for the long term effects of inhaling propylene glycol.

I'm a little troubled by your link to Puresmoker and the link of the e-cig I have bought, PureSmoke, www.puresmokeonline.com. Pure Smoke is from San Jose so it's American made. It's just a little troubling that 2 different companies have such a similar name.

Don't necessarily equate American companies w/ American-made products.

Those appear to be Chinese-produced (OEM) products w/ their labels printed on them. I would bet money on it, actually, as there is no mention of where it is produced on their site.

Not to say they don't work, or that they're not a good product. I would just feel better buying from a company that I KNOW put in a lot of time and effort into R&D, and make a point to buy American.

The ultimate source for information (a la HBT) is http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com

EDIT: I did a little research, and it appears that the Pure Smoke line is primary kr808s produced by the Shenzhen Kanger company in China. They might not all be produced there, but there are countless Chinese manufacturers that produce like models. Did your kit look kinda like this? http://www.szkanger.com/product_show.asp?id=98

Regarding the E-Cigs, one thing I've heard is that some (or many?) users experience a chronic dry throat from the propylene glycol. The other potential problem is that I don't believe there are any studies done for the long term effects of inhaling propylene glycol.

Most people that have issues with or allergies resulting from PG switch over to liquids made with vegetable glycerin or "VG".

A lot of the hardware (most of the atomizers, cartomizers, cartridges, etc..) are made in China.
The E-juice, or nic-juice made in china, while probably perfectly safe seems to be lower quality, and not as tasty, IMO.. The US made juices seem to be of a generally higher quality, and consistently fresh.

If you'd like to do some reading:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ <--- A huge forum with tons of links, and info.
http://casaa.org/ <--- Consumer Advocates for Smoke-free Alternatives Association

WildGingerBrewing,
Good Luck! I've never used electrocigs but I feel your pain. I'm in the middle of quitting right now (no smokes for 11 days) too. I've only been smoking about 2-3 packs per week, on and off for about 10 yrs (not nearly as long as you) but it is getting easier every day. I honestly don't think about it that much anymore. I say on and off because I've "quit" before for a few months at a time but I don't think I ever really wanted to, I just felt like I should. About 2 weeks ago I was out drinking and smoking (I'll easily chain smoke 2 packs in a few hrs when I'm drinking) and when I woke up the next morning, I could barely breathe. I was coughing and gasping and told myself enough was enough. I know I'll be able to quit this time because I finally want to. If you have to quit and you want to quit, you will.

WildGingerBrewing,
Good Luck! I've never used electrocigs but I feel your pain. I'm in the middle of quitting right now (no smokes for 11 days) too. I've only been smoking about 2-3 packs per week, on and off for about 10 yrs (not nearly as long as you) but it is getting easier every day. I honestly don't think about it that much anymore. I say on and off because I've "quit" before for a few months at a time but I don't think I ever really wanted to, I just felt like I should. About 2 weeks ago I was out drinking and smoking (I'll easily chain smoke 2 packs in a few hrs when I'm drinking) and when I woke up the next morning, I could barely breathe. I was coughing and gasping and told myself enough was enough. I know I'll be able to quit this time because I finally want to. If you have to quit and you want to quit, you will.

Thanks and good luck to you. It's hard. And really wanting to is the key. Honestly, I don't want too. I love smoking. But with the scare I recently had, I took it as a sign to quit. I had a couple beers last night and was curious how the e-cig was going to make me feel. I have to say, it seemed to work pretty good. This weekend will be the real test though.

EDIT: I did a little research, and it appears that the Pure Smoke line is primary kr808s produced by the Shenzhen Kanger company in China. They might not all be produced there, but there are countless Chinese manufacturers that produce like models. Did your kit look kinda like this? http://www.szkanger.com/product_show.asp?id=98

The box is differrent but the contents are exactly the same.

WGB

Jumping into this kinda late, just noticed it this morning . . .
I used to smoke 2 packs a day, sometimes more for about 20+ years and after a few months on the E-cig I quit nicotine all together. The product is great for replacing the nicotine you are missing out on from going cold turkey and it definitely helps out with the cravings and the nic fits. BUT . . . (ya knew it was coming) overall the thing sucks . . . which is actually a good thing.

Dont get me wrong if you are looking to quit it's perfect, because it sucks. You know smoking is more then just lighting up and taking a few drags. It's a ritual. It's finishing dinner and moving to your spot and sitting down and relaxing, breaking out your lighter and chilling while you "have a smoke" . . . for me with the E-cig it just wasnt like that. With the e-cig it felt more like a junkie getting his fix. TBH I dont think I would have quit without the e-cig so it did its job of helping me quit but if you are looking for a long term replacement for a cig I dont know if you will be happy. April 19th I will be 1 year free of smokes (ok I have had 3 in the last year) and I could not have done it with out the help of the E-cig

If you're looking to quit - works great
If you are looking for a replacement for a normal cig - yeah not so great

Pumbaa, Thanks. I am just looking for something to help me quit and I think it is helping. And I agree, there is a ritual involved with smoking. I told SWMBO last night that I think I may be addicted to the actual smoking of the cigarette more than to the nicotine itself. I want to go out to the porch, sit in my spot, and light up a smoke. You nailed it! Once I get over that part of it, I think I will be able to quit without much problem.

I have some e-cig stuff from Totally Wicked (they are UK based with a US branch).

the problem is the FDA is 'cracking down' on these 'nicotine dealers' and holding their shipments in customs.

I liked the Wicked line because you can mix your own vape juice (nicotine) to any strength and flavor.

it does NOT taste like a cigarette. more like how a fresh pouch of rolling tobacco smells.

after all there's no combustion.

Blu is another popular but spendy setup.

Haven't smoked in about a year and a half and I'm still having wicked cravings and nic fits. So, I broke down and ordered some 0 nicotine e-cigs. Going to see if I can fool my brain into thinking I'm smoking.

I smoked for twenty years and was able to quit by using chantix. No cravings , only side effect was putrid gas 24/7. Bothered swmbo way more than me. Going on three years. Good luck its rough but can be done

Yeah. I tried one of the pills. Made me psychotic and I had to stop taking it. Quitting usually isn't a problem for me. It's staying quit after 6 months or a year that I have the issue with. Hoping this will help. I do know that if I fall off the wagon again, I'll use an electronic cig until I'm ready to quit again.

I smoked for twenty years and was able to quit by using chantix. No cravings , only side effect was putrid gas 24/7. Bothered swmbo way more than me. Going on three years. Good luck its rough but can be done

Have tried Chantix, Wellbutrin, and a few others.

Didn't work.

Looking like the only "pill" that may hold is my 5 year old saying "Smoking makes you fat!"

Back