Electric Turkey Fryer for Small Batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luzer

Reaction score
Tonight I'm going to pickup this older model of an counter top Turkey Fryer so I can do all grain 2.5 gal batches. Anything that I should be aware of?

You shouldn't have any problems...maybe. I assume you are going to heat strike water then turn the element off while you mash in a grain bag so you don't burn your bag or grain? I would only suggest you get a decent thermometer to check strike temp. The dial on the cooker might be very accurate but might not. Also controlling the boil might be hard since you can only control temp and not intensity of the element. I think you might find that you have to baby the temp.dial to keep from boiling over. I guess the only problem would be the boil. If you set the dial for a boil it would probably boil over untill you turned the dial down, then the boil would stop untill you turned the temp dial back up. Fermcaps might keep the foam down enough to have a vigorous boil without boiling over. Good luck Brother.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll have some time to do a 3.5 gal boil test later this week. Hopefully it goes well.

I have one of those...haven't try to brew with it yet...the element is only 1650W. You're not going to get to boil fast, but it should still work. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Back