Electric radiant heater from a light

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That will work great. All I use is a lamp to keep mine warm. Only one problem... all production of incandescent bulbs has ceased due to an edict from the green police. They were rather fill the landfills with fluorescent bulbs than use more electricity. And while I'm ranting, fluorescent bulbs are all imported from you know where...

That's a pretty cool idea if you're looking to concentrate the heat in a given area, but in the end it's giving off the same amount energy. It would be redundant to use it in a small area like a fermentation chamber, wouldn't it?

:off: Not quite true about incandescent bulbs. They're still made, but they have to adhere to new standards. New 100 Watt bulbs can now only consume 72 Watts, and starting next year 75 Watt bulbs need to be more efficient, followed by the 60 and 40 Watt in 2014. If you bought a bulb since 2009, you're probably using one of the new ones already.

Bitty said:
That's a pretty cool idea if you're looking to concentrate the heat in a given area, but in the end it's giving off the same amount energy. It would be redundant to use it in a small area like a fermentation chamber, wouldn't it?
I was thinking about this last night. The light is putting most of the energy/heat into the clay pottery which slowly dissipates.. So you would get your long warm up but after that you would have a short cycling time so in a small space with good insulation this would be more effinicent than just a lightbulb, wouldn't it?

Back