Electric motor repair??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I am looking over a Pitching Machine for a guy at work. The local school gave it to him and got a new one. After pulling one of the wheels off and taking apart one of the motors, I see that it has overheated. There is a ton of black stuff coating everything inside.

I'm assuming the windings are shorted, but have not yet checked. Any idea what I can use to clean that crap out of there? I may end up rewinding this thing if I can't find a replacement motor for a decent price, but if it's not shorted, I would like to wash all of that gunk away and see how long it lasts.

Any electrical contact cleaner should work. Blow it out with compressed air first to get the majority of it out, then the cleaner.

I'm assuming its a 120 VAC motor. If that's the case, then I would be willing to bet that you could find a replacement motor for a decent price. Manufacturers make those things as a disposable item now. Weren't really meant to be repaired. Except maybe the bearings on some motors.

Good luck.

Good idea on the contact cleaner. I think it's a DC motor though. There are two wheels that have speed control on them. The machine can be set to throw a rise, drop, and even tilted to toss a curve, etc.

I may end up having to rewind this thing because I can't find any replacement motors.

Back