Electric (induction?) burner for boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HawaiianHippie

Reaction score
Aloha all!

I'm thinking about migrating from partial-mash to all grain. Amongst the hurdles I have to overcome is my stove. It barely boils 2.5 gallons of wort. I have zero faith that I'll be able to get 5-7 gallons to boil EVER.

Propane isn't a desirable option. I'm limited to all-indoors, and space is at a premium (we're actually looking to move into a smaller place!). So, I start thinking to myself, "why not a single burner electric range?"

Maybe something like this?

Mahalo!

Last edited by a moderator:
HawaiianHippie said:
Aloha all!

I'm thinking about migrating from partial-mash to all grain. Amongst the hurdles I have to overcome is my stove. It barely boils 2.5 gallons of wort. I have zero faith that I'll be able to get 5-7 gallons to boil EVER.

Propane isn't a desirable option. I'm limited to all-indoors, and space is at a premium (we're actually looking to move into a smaller place!). So, I start thinking to myself, "why not a single burner electric range?"

Maybe something like this?

Mahalo!

I know a couple with a conduction range. They don't brew but it apparently boils smaller amounts water pretty quick. They have to use a certain kind of pot though. Research that a little to make sure you don't end up needing a certain kind of kettle too.

Last edited by a moderator:
The biggest problem is that you need a magnetic brew pot for induction ranges to work. I believe that there are some out there, but a converted keg or a Blichmann will not work.

Consider insulating your kettle as well...there are some good threads on here that will help to get a quicker and larger boil

Well, that IS a thing a beauty! Now to find a spare 220v outlet lying around :( I suppose I could drag my stove aside and unplug it on brew days.
I know you're joking, but the smaller 20 amp outlet that you'd need is not the same as the one used for your stove. It's quite common in 240V window air conditioners used in residential homes.

I know you're joking, but the smaller 20 amp outlet that you'd need is not the same as the one used for your stove. It's quite common in 240V window air conditioners used in residential homes.

Yes, I was joking a bit! But, at least in our current rental, there are only three 240 circuits: stove, water heater, dryer. My hope is that the new place, once we find it, will be a bit more robustly wired. If not, well, we will be owners, and I can fix that!

Looking at other threads here, though, it really does seem that either I go 240v or I'm wasting my time.

Latest posts

Back